County governments play a crucial role in providing and maintaining infrastructure. This is particularly with respect to the public functions that have been constitutionally assigned to the devolved units under the Constitution of Kenya, including county health services, county roads, street lighting, water and sanitation services, amongst others.
Cynthia has over 17 years post qualification experience. She specializes in public procurement and PPPs, power projects and infrastructure advisory.
Cynthia has experience in diverse projects including in energy, social infrastructure such as health and housing, accommodation, water, and transport sectors. In the energy sector she has acted for clients across various technology types including solar, wind, hydropower, geothermal and coal.
Cynthia has acted for clients across the entire value chain of projects, including public sector entities, developers, commercial lenders and development finance institutions, contractors, operators, and equipment suppliers.
She is also one of the writers for the World Bank’s Public Private Partnerships (PPP) blog. Prior to joining the firm, she worked at the Transition Authority as a Director (Legal and Intergovernmental Relations) and the Office of the Attorney General as a Senior State Counsel.
Experience has included advising:
- Two development finance institutions who are lenders in a 50 MW wind power project being developed in Kajiado, Kenya
- A Chinese multinational company on its proposed investments in Kenya involving the development of berths at various ports and the construction of an industrial city
- A consortium led by an international non-governmental organization (NGO), on the implementation of an innovative business model for the provision of primary healthcare services in Makueni County, Kenya
- A Chinese export and credit insurance agency in connection with a PPP roads program for the development of 2,000 km of roads under the road annuity program
- An American NGO on the legal and regulatory framework governing its proposed partnership with Kenya’s largest referral hospital, Kenyatta National Hospital, in improving cancer care facilities at the hospital
- An American corporation on nine solar mini-grids situated in various counties across Kenya
- Lenders of a 40 MW solar power project being developed in Malindi, Kenya by an independent power producer
- An independent power producer on a 40 MW solar power project in Makindu, Makueni County, Kenya
- An independent power producer registered in Mauritius with respect to two 40 MW solar power projects being developed in Uasin Gishu County, Kenya
- A developer in a 140 MW geothermal power project
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya (2004)
- University of Nottingham, Master of Laws LL.M., Degree in International Commercial law (2009)
- United States International University (USIU-A), Master of Arts M.A, Degree in International Relations (2006)
- Kenya School of Law, Postgraduate Diploma in Law and admission to the Bar (2004)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws, LL.B. (2002)
- 2022 to date, Partner, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2020 to 2021, Legal Director, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2015 to 2020, Senior Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya