Lydia is an Associate in the Tax Practice at IKM Advocates. Lydia advises clients in diverse sectors on the tax implications of their transactions and assists in drafting pleadings to be filed at Tax Appeals Tribunal as part of a team. Lydia is conversant with the PIN application process for foreign directors and newly registered companies. She also undertakes VAT refund follow ups with the Kenya Revenue Authority and payroll services on behalf of clients.
- As a team member advised two non-resident clients on the most tax efficient structure of setting up in Kenya and the resultant tax implications upon setting up.
- Maintaining key contacts at KRA’s VAT refunds department to expedite settlement of a manufacturing client monthly VAT refund claims.
- Advised a client on VAT assessments and assisting in drafting correspondence with KRA for speedy resolution as part of a team.
- As part of a team, prepared a tax computation for a collective investment scheme and advised on allowability of bad debts with regards to the Commissioner’s guidelines.
- Successfully helped clients in getting KRA PINs for non-resident directors and newly registered companies.
- As part of a team assisted a beer company in drafting objections for a VAT Auto-Assessment.
- As part of a team advised a bank on the implications of tax obligations imposed by the Tax Procedures Act in line with the data privacy legislation.
- As a part of a team, advised a non-resident telecommunication company on the Withholding Tax Rate applicable on transmission of SMSs and the implications of the Kenya-Sweden Double Taxation Agreement
- Certified Public Accountant Finalist (2013)
- Advocate admitted to of the High Court of Kenya (2018)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2016)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws (2015)
Prior Experience (Optional)
- February 2020 to date – Tax Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- September 2017 to January 2020 Tax Associate, Nairobi based Audit firm
- January to August 2017 Pupil, Nairobi based law firm
- January – April 2015 Tax Intern, Nairobi based Audit firm
- Law Society of Kenya