The Civil Aviation (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) Regulations, 2020 are now effective, having been gazetted in the Kenya Gazette Vol. CXXII – No. 58 of 3 April 2020 and published on 30 March 2020 (Special Issue 611). The regulations will govern, among others, the importation, ownership, registration, operation, procurement and manufacture of Unmanned Aircraft Systems, more commonly referred to as drones.
Haanee Khan is a Senior Associate and Practice Group Lead at IKM with 10 years’ experience in mergers and acquisitions and private equity across a broad range of sectors including aviation, telecoms, agribusiness, consumer goods, energy, industrials and technology.
His additional expertise includes, specific aviation-related matters such as aviation finance and regulatory work.
Experience has included advising:
- A content service provider licence holder (for the provision of a consolidated money transfer platform in East Africa) on a joint venture (drafting and negotiating a mobile money platform service agreement and other framework agreements) with a leading mobile network operator to roll-out mobile money and related services
- Africa's Talking Limited in its ‘Series A’ funding round led by IFC, Orange Digital Ventures and Social Capital (estimated deal value USD16 million)
- One of world’s leading cancer care providers, Healthcare Global, in its acquisition of an equity interest in Cancer Care Kenya – one of the first specialty oncology centres in Kenya
- Oman Air, on various aspects relating to the sublease of two Boeing 787-8 Aircraft from Kenya Airways Limited, and on various aspects relating to its slot exchange agreement (for certain landing slots at London’s Heathrow Airport) with Kenya Airways, an agreement between Air France, Kenya Airways Limited and Oman Air
- Aircraft Leasing Services in Kenya, on its acquisition of three aircraft (Bombardier Inc. DHC-8-106) from Avmax Aircraft Leasing Inc., in Alberta, Canada
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (2011)
- Kenya School of Law, Advocates Training Practice (2010)
- Nottingham Law School, UK, LL.B. and Legal Practice Course (2009)
- BPP University Law School, UK, Diploma in Law (2007)
- University of Salford, UK, Bachelor of Sciences in Business Management with Law (2006)
- 2020 to date, Legal Director, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2018 to 2020, Senior Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2015 to 2018, Senior Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2012 to 2015, Legal Counsel, Kenya Airways Limited
- 2010 to 2012, Associate, Nairobi-based law firm
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
Africa’s economic outlook is on the up, with the African Development Bank in its 2019 African Economic Outlook report forecasting sustained rise in the average GDP (gross domestic profit) growth rate for the continent - from an estimated 3.5% in 2018 to 4% this year and 4.1% in 2020.