With this brief analysis we wish to analyse the implications of force majeure events in the petroleum sector during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Leopoldo de Amaral is responsible for the energy and natural resources practice at SAL & Caldeira, which includes power, mining and oil and gas. He is admitted to practice law in Mozambique and has trained in South Africa.
He has extensive consultancy experience in Mozambique and in the Southern Africa region
Leopoldo has worked with government departments and multilateral agencies. He has provided legal services to foreign investors in various matters ranging from strategic corporate matters to investment, merger and acquisition and project finance. His clients include some of the major oil and gas and mining companies in Mozambique.
He is deeply involved with energy projects in Mozambique, representing sponsors, developers and lenders.
Experience includes advising:
- A global top-3 independent oil company to bid, negotiate and execute 3 EPCCs in Mozambique out of the 5th licensing round
- A global top-3 private and independent oil company with its USD3 billion farm-in transaction for their entry into a USD27 billion LNG project in Mozambique
- The first 120 MW wind farm project in Mozambique
- An Australian mining company, to negotiate and execute a mining agreement with the Mozambican government for production of high-purity graphite in Mozambique
- A 150 MW coal-to-power project
- Member of the Mozambique Bar Association
- Wits University, South Africa, Diploma in Commercial Law, (2013)
- Wits University, South Africa, Diploma in Prospecting and Mining Law, (2012)
- University of Pretoria, South Africa, LL.M. (2001 to 2002)
- Eduardo Mondlane University, Mozambique, LL.B. (1995 to 2000)
- PetroEDGE Asia (Singapore), Diploma in International Petroleum Contracts & Practice in Negotiations
- Global Prospectus Training, South Africa, FIDIC, NEC3, JBCC and GCC 2010 contracts
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global (2020)
- Commended as Next Generation Lawyer in The Legal 500 (2020)
- 2015 to present, Partner, Energy and Natural Resources Practice Group, SAL & Caldeira, Advogados, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Mozambique
- 2013 to 2015, Manager, SAL & Caldeira, Advogados, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Mozambique
- 2006 to 2013, Program Manager, Soros Foundation for Southern Africa (OSISA)
- 1999 to 2006, Senior Legal Advisor, SAL & Caldeira, Advogados, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Mozambique
- Mozambique Bar Association
- Former Chairman of the Human Rights Committee of the Mozambique Bar Association
- Member of the Mozambique Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI)