Veiko Alexander is an admitted Legal Practitioner of the High Court of Namibia, and an Associate at Ellis Shilengudwa Inc. Having started his legal career as a state prosecutor in the Office of the Prosecutor-General of the Republic of Namibia in 2005, Veiko has more than 13 years' experience as a practicing lawyer. By the time he joined Ellis Shilengdwa Inc. in 2016, he was a state advocate in the High Court of Namibia, attached to the commercial crimes unit, a subunit which is responsible for directing investigations and prosecution of fraud, corruption, money laundering and other commercial-related crimes.
Veiko's specializes in commercial and corporate advice, although a limited part of his practice also includes civil and criminal litigation. He also specializes on advising on mining and minerals-related law, licensing and regulatory, the drawing, negotiation and reviewing of contracts, conducting of due diligences and project financing.
His clients range from private equity funds managers, mostly in relation to equity and investment acquisitions; international companies and corporations in relation to investments and / or acquisition of business interests in Namibia; mining companies in relation to applications, renewals and transfers of mining licenses; and international precious commodity (mostly diamond) trading / dealing companies and corporations in relation to license applications or the acquisition of interest in existing licenses, regulatory requirements and foreign exchange control laws and applicable legal compliances.
In the Litigation department, Veiko mainly acts as a defence attorney in commercial-related criminal cases.
Experience has included advising:
- As a team member, a major local development bank in relation to the financing of various renewable energy projects
- As a team member, various private equity funds in relation to equity and investment acquisitions
- As a team member, provided legal advice and conducted due diligence for several international companies in relation to investments and / or acquistion of business interests in Namibia
- As team member, a major international mining company in relation to applications, renewals and transfers of mining licenses
- As a team member, a major international corporation in relation to the acquisition of controlling interest in a locally-registered company
- An international diamond trading company, in relation to the acqusition of controlling interest in a local company and establishment of operations in Namibia
- As a team member, the conducting of a high-level due diligence for international companies in relation to investments and / or acquistion of business interests in Namibia
- A local registered company in relation to corporate restructuring and rearrangement of the company for purposes of sourcing and obtaining funding for the business and its operations
- As a team member, a locally-registered company in relation to the proposed listing of its stock on the Namibia Stock Exchange
- Admitted as a legal practitioner of the High Court of Namibia
- University of South Africa, Bachelor of Law L.LB. (2015)
- University of Namibia, Baccalaureus Juris (B-Juris) (2005)