Dayo has more than 14 years’ experience advising on commercial land and company-related transactions. As an integral member of the Finance and Projects (Transportation and Infrastructure) team, Dayo has been involved in negotiating various concessionary agreements both in the rail and road transport sectors.
He has provided advice to various local and international clients in specialized areas in public infrastructure, construction, mergers and acquisitions and the project finance sectors.
Prior to joining the firm, Dayo was the legal manager for the biggest downstream oil company in Nigeria and anchored several due diligence exercises as both target and acquirer. He was also responsible for mapping out litigation strategy for the downstream company and handled all negotiations involving filling station acquisitions and leases.
In the construction sector, Dayo has been an integral member of the team that worked on the construction and tolling of the first tolled bridge in Nigeria and on several commercial and residential projects with some of the biggest construction companies in Nigeria.
As the legal assistant to the honorable commissioner for finance between 2013-2015, he was exposed to the public financial management strategy for Lagos State as well as being a member of the team that ensured fulfillment of the pre-actions for the disbursement of the Development Policy Operation USD200 million World Bank loan for infrastructure development in Lagos State. During his stint in government he sat as a member of the public-private partnership team for proposed synergies between the government and the private sector.
Dayo’s clients range from government parastatals to large construction companies as well as players in the oil and gas sectors at all levels of the value chain.
Experience has included advising:
- A foreign acquirer, on a due diligence exercise to determine the financial status of a potential target local commercial bank
- An estate developer, on the legality of the proposed concept of the lease-to-own scheme
- A hydropower company, on transmission service agreements (TSA) and operations and maintenance (O&M) agreements
- Various clients, on the impact of anti-money-laundering laws and counterterrorism laws on their business interests in Nigeria
- A crude oil offtaker, on its rights under the crude oil sale and purchase agreement and other subsidiary agreements involved in the potential sale
- Lagos State government, on several public-private partnership (PPP) initiatives for proposed synergies between the Lagos State government and potential private investors in key social sectors
- Senate committee, on land transportation on public procurement compliance and PPP initiatives
- A state government, on a proposed bus reform project
- A governmental agency, on a proposed rail infrastructure concession
- A national gas company, on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) and O&M contracts with foreign technical partners as well as sale contracts with potential offtakers
- A large construction company in Lagos, on commercial obligation disputes
- Nigerian Bar Association (2003)
- University of Southampton, LL.M. (2010)
- Staffordshire University, LL.B. (1997)
- 2013 to present, Senior Associate, Olajide Oyewole LLP, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Nigeria
- 2008 to 2013, Legal Manager, Nigerian downstream oil company
- 2005 to 2008, Senior Legal Officer, Nigerian downstream oil company
- 2004 to 2005, Associate, Lagos-based law firm