Ubong Charles Bassey is a member of the firm’s Dispute Resolution group, and has keen interests in corporate and commercial litigation as well as alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
He represents clients in various complex commercial disputes at different courts of record in the country and at several mediation proceedings.
He routinely advises top corporate clients, individuals and government agencies on corporate law, insolvency, commercial and labor law matters. Charles has represented corporate clients in various employment matters at the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.
He also has vast experience in debt-recovery matters. He has worked as a key member of a team that represented top Nigerian financial institutions on several claims in court to recover debts of high magnitude from high-profile citizens and multinational corporations running into billions of naira and several million dollars. He is a key team member, that is currently representing a federal government agency in the recovery of its non-performing loans. This task includes tracing and identifying the liquid and illiquid assets of obligors within the country.
Experience has included advising:
- A federal government agency, on the tracing, location and identification of liquid and illiquid assets
- A multinational company, on winding-up and liquidation procedures
- A federal government agency, on the recovery of non-performing loans in excess of NGN5 billion
- Top corporate clients, on employment-related matters
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria (2016)
- Nigerian Law School, B.L (2016)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, LL.B. (2015)
- 2017 to date, Associate, Olajide Oyewole LLP, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Nigeria
- 2017 to 2017, Associate, Lagos-based law firm
- Member of the Nigerian Bar Association