The methane in Lake Kivu is estimated to have the capacity to generate 700 MW of electricity and solve Rwanda's growing energy deficit.
Colette Bitali is a qualified attorney and her areas of practice include inter-alia corporate and commercial law, immigration law, intellectual property law, land law and employment law. She has worked as part of a team in representing a range of clients in various matters such as acquiring investor status in Rwanda, mergers and acquisitions, financial services, project finance and conveyancing as well as representing clients before government authorities and other commercial related matters.
Her experience covers a range of sectors as highlighted above and she has gained knowledge and practical experience from her training and practice in various countries and legal jurisdictions.
Experience has included advising:
- As a team member, several international financial institutions regarding the financing of the acquisition of Boeing and Airbus aircrafts by RwandAir
- As a team member, several lenders regarding the financing of the new Bugesera International Airport
- As a team member, an international financial institution regarding a multi-million dollar acquisition of a stake in a Rwandan bank which assignment included conducting legal due diligence and advising on Rwandan laws relating to mergers and acquisition of banks
- As a team member, lenders regarding the financing of a forestry company in Rwanda
- As a team member, international and local clients regarding corporate law matters including advising them on registration of companies, filing company deeds at the Registrar of companies, mergers and acquisitions and corporate compliance issues
- As a team member, international and local clients regarding labor law matters including, but not limited to, drafting and advising on the form of employment contracts, entering and terminating employment contracts, mandatory pension schemes, tax compliance matters, immigration matters, trademark registration procedures and related matters.
- Advocate admitted to the Rwanda Bar Association (2019)
- University of Reading, LL.B. (2015)
- Law School of Tanzania, Diploma in Legal Practice (2016)
- 2017 to Present, Associate, Equity Juris Chambers
- 2017 to 2017, Associate, Rwandan law firm
- Rwanda Bar Association
- Tanganyika Law Society
- East African Law Society