Allan Waniala specializes in commercial litigation and arbitration. He represents clients in both contentious and non-contentious matters in areas of law such as, banking and financial services, technology, commercial contracts, construction, negligence and product liability, employment, transport, insurance, real estate and regulatory affairs.
Allan acts as litigation counsel for leading financial institutions in Uganda, an Africa-wide small- and-medium-sized enterprise financier, a world-leading sustainable forestry organization, a railway concessionaire and a publicly-traded electricity distributor.
Experience has included advising:
- Barclays Bank, in defending a complex and high-value claim for fraud and breach of duty in relation to the receivership of a borrower
- The Central Bank, in connection with a landmark breach of trust and fiduciary duty claim against the former shareholder of a distressed financial institution and a related party to the shareholder
- MTN Uganda, in appellate proceedings to challenge the excessive award of damages following the termination of an executive-level employment contract
- Ecobank, in defending a high-value claim for breach of the banker-customer relationship
- Africell Uganda Limited, in proceedings to set aside an arbitral award arising from multibillion shilling ad hoc arbitration proceedings
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda (2008)
- Makerere University, Bachelor of Law (2006)
Law Development Centre, Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification) (2007)
- Member of the East Africa Law Society
Member of the Uganda Law Society