Philbert Mpiirwe’s practice covers projects and infrastructure and corporate and commercial advisory. He acts for manufacturing, petroleum and oil and gas operations, energy, infrastructure and corporate entities on various legal, regulatory and transactional mandates, including projects establishment, commercial contracting, mergers and acquisitions, legal due diligence, compliance and legal risk management. In corporate mandates, Philbert provides advice on regulatory compliance, company law matters and due diligence investigations.
Experience has included advising:
- Sinohydro Corporation, the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning contractor of the 600MW Karuma hydropower dam project, in providing advisory support to the project management and implementation team.
- AMEA Power on the establishment of a 20MW solar power plant, including corporate, licensing and financing matters.
- EGIS Road Operations in a procurement-related dispute and other contractual and compliance matters in connection with EGIS’ appointment as the operator for the operation and maintenance of the Kampala‐Entebbe Expressway Project.
- Evolution II Fund, a Mauritian closed-end private equity fund investing in renewable energy generating assets and energy efficiency projects, on its 100% equity acquisition of a 10 MW solar power plant.
- A listed Australian mineral exploration and production company for its acquisition of the assets of a leading Ugandan tin mining company.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- Queen Mary University of London: Master of Laws (Energy and Natural Resources Law).
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.