DLA Piper Africa achieves impressive results in the newly released 2020 edition of The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA)edition
Our lawyers offer a full range of services in areas including acquisitions and disposals, construction law, financing, commercial real estate, land use, planning and development and leasing.
Real estate has emerged as an attractive long-term investment for investors seeking diversification and stable yields within an uncertain economy. These investors now have needs that transcend borders resulting in the emergence of a global real estate industry.
Our clients benefit from our significant experience in orchestrating complex, long-term projects that involve drafting documentation, facilitating negotiations, navigating legal and regulatory issues and, when necessary, litigating on their behalf.
Experience has included advising:
- In the development of a new commercial property development in Windhoek which has seen development exceeding N$2 billion.
- On some of the largest property base securitization transactions in Namibia.
- On the registration of servitudes.
- On the transfer of land. We boast of extensive experience of land transfers and registration in the deeds office inter alia with local authorities transfers, sectional title transfers, private party transfers, transfer of block erven, transfer of commercial properties and subdivision of land and township establishment.
- In the procurement of land. We boast of successfully assisting our clients in negotiations between our clients and specifically with the local authorities for the procurement of numerous land transactions and we continue to do so. Such successful procurement includes inter alia transactions of N$60 million with the local authorities. Other transactions include the negotiation with land owners on behalf of an investment property fund on the acquisition of land.
- With the registration and advising on notarial leases.
- On the registration of sectional titles. We have extensive knowledge and skill in the drafting, registration, and opening of the sectional title schemes, as well as the transfer of units and registration of sectional bonds. We are also involved in advising clients daily how to register a sectional title scheme. We meet from time to time with developers and advise them on the sectional title laws and procedures, as well as the procurement of finances from financial institutions.
- On the establishment of Township Development. We are often instructed by our developer clients to attend to advising, drafting and registration of the establishment of Township Development, as well as the registration of General Plans.
- On the transfer of agricultural land. We have also been instrumental in obtaining waivers for our clients with Ministry of Land and Resettlement, and subsequently attending to the registration of transfer of agricultural land to private persons, as well as to the Government of Namibia.
- On the registration of bonds and registerable notarial documents. We are instructed by the banks to play a supervisory role on their securities (mortgage bonds) registered over immovable property.
As the articles in this issue show, the world’s second largest continent may offer real opportunities to foreign investors in real estate.