Our experienced tax lawyers advise clients in national and international tax proceedings, in tax audits and in tax controversies.
Working across the African continent and globally, we focus on complex tax controversy matters including audits, administrative appeals, claims for refund, voluntary disclosures and civil tax litigation as well as criminal tax matters. Our lawyers are repeatedly recognized as leaders in the fields of tax disputes and tax litigation.
Local insight, global reach: we are one of the most active law firms in Africa, and we understand the political, financial, regulatory and economic issues in the region. We represent multinational corporations, privately owned companies, partnerships, limited liability companies, high-net-worth individuals, trusts and estates.
Our on-the-ground presence in 20 African countries is backed by a global Africa team comprising more than 200 lawyers in Johannesburg and Casablanca and extending to financial centers including London, New York, Paris, Dubai, Perth, Hong Kong and Beijing.
We are one of the world’s biggest business law firms, and clients turn to us for our multidisciplinary resources and our global network that encompasses numerous areas of law, among them white collar, employment and corporate law. This means we can provide fully coordinated cross-border business legal services in your home country and across multiple jurisdictions.
Key capabilities include:
- tax audits, developing audit strategies, subsequent proceedings (eg, tax settlement agreements)
- administrative appeals and before tax, administrative or constitutional courts
- tax investigations and disputes, including the US Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
- disclosure of reports, group litigation orders, acting in courts and tribunals, negotiating settlements with tax authorities, interviews under caution
- crisis management, individual and corporate advice
- Rapid Response global crisis management hotline service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- all stages of tax criminal proceedings, individual and corporate defense
- tax-related liability proceedings, individual and corporate defense
- voluntary disclosure of tax evasion and disclosure submissions for individuals and companies
- negotiations with tax authorities on advance rulings and mutual agreements
- Advanced Pricing Agreements and participation in Mutual Agreement Procedures
- compliance advice: avoiding risk of criminal and other sanctions
- FIN 48 issues and assessment of tax audit risks
Please contact us to discuss how we can help you to achieve your objectives.