In Algeria, despite the enactment of Law No. 04-09 of August 14, 2004, on the promotion of renewable energies in the framework of sustainable development, no concrete governmental decision to promote renewable energies has been taken since.
Mounir Ait Belkacem focuses on M&A and corporate transactions. Admitted to the Paris Bar over 14 years ago, he has a strong practice in Algeria since he started working in 2005 and specializing in corporate, finance, as well as foreign exchange matters.
He has assisted several international groups in privatization processes. He has also built a strong practice outside Algeria in M&A and corporate transactions, most notably in France, having worked in Paris for many years.
Experience has included advising:
ParexGroup in the acquisition of a 49% stake in an Algerian company specialized in the manufacture of mortars.
- Valco Group in the setting up of a joint-venture in Algeria with an Algerian partner for the manufacture of steel valves.
- Italiana Costruzioni in the setting up of a joint-venture in Algeria with Ramdane (a private Algerian entity) specialized in real estate asset management.
- An Indonesian company in the setting up of a joint-venture in Algeria with two State-owned entities specialized in the operation of phosphate mines and manufacture of ammonia for a value of USD4.5 billion.
- A leading international cement company established in Algeria in a series of acquisitions in the Algerian market.
- A French company in the setting up of a joint-venture in Algeria with a State-owned entity specializing in electric equipment for a value of USD10 million.
- A leading Middle East/Japanese vehicle distributor in two manufacturing and assembling projects.
- A leading Algerian pharmaceutical company in the reorganization of its subsidiaries
- A Middle Eastern company in the proposed setting up of a joint-venture in Algeria with an Algerian private entity for the distribution and assembly of vehicles.
- Avocat à la cour admitted to the Paris Bar (2005)
- Aix-Marseille Business Law Institute, DESS in International Business Law (2002)
- Aix-Marseille Business Law Institute, DJCE in International Business Law (2002)
- University Pierre Mendès-France (Grenoble), Master 1 in Business Law (2001)
- University of Hull, Master 1 in European Law (2000)
- Ranked as Highly Regarded (IFLR1000 2019)
- “Mounir Ait Belkacem frequently acts for foreign investors on significant M&A deals and is also an expert in joint ventures. A recent example of his work was his advice to Lafarge Algeria on a capital increase relating to its CILAS joint venture with the Souakri Group. Peers consider him 'a very solid lawyer and competitor in the market,' adding that he is 'a solid technician.'" (Chambers & Partners 2019)
Mounir Ait Belkacem participates in a debate by videoconference on issues related to social law in Algeria during the COVID-19 pandemic
The 2020 Finance Act, which has come into force, revisited two flagship measures introduced by the 2009 Complementary Finance Act: (i) the 51/49 rule and (ii) the prohibition of using international loans to finance the national economy.