The Non-Bank Financial Institutions Regulatory Authority (NBFIRA) is the body charged with regulating non-bank financial institutions and improving the fairness, efficiency and orderliness of the non-bank sector and the stability of the financial system.
Jayne Cross is a Partner and Head of the Civil & Corporate Litigation division. Her areas of focu includes insurance law, commercial and civil litigation.
Jayne is also a trainer in the Trail Advocacy Course administered by the Law Society of Botswana, in conjunction with US and East African lawyers which provides legal advocacy training skills.
Experience has included advising:
- International and local insurance companies in Botswana as well as the Government Insurance Scheme. This includes instituting and defending third party insurance claims; litigation relating to insurance contracts; and defending public liability claims
- On labour and employment matters. This includes matters relating to the Workers Compensation Act, compensation claims and litigation relating to disputed pension matters
- Clients on repossessions matters
- On insurance related matters including personal damages and medical negligence claims
- Clients on property disputes
- And representing local and international companies in contractual breach claims and the interpretation of contracts
- Companies on arbitration and regulatory related issues as well as international conventions
- On litigation relating to restaint of trade and confidentiality agreements
- Clients on liquidations and creditors meetings
- Clients on litigation relating to banking laws
- Clients on audit negligence claims
- Attorney admitted to the High Court of Botswana (2009)
- University of South Africa, LL.B. (cum laude) (2008)
- Law Society of Botswana and National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Diploma in Trial Advocacy (2010)
- February 2017 to date, Partner, Minchin & Kelly (Botswana), DLA Piper Africa, Botswana
- 2010 to 2016, Associate, Minchin & Kelly (Botswana), DLA Piper Africa, Botswana
- 2009, Pupil Attorney, Gaborone based law firm
- Law Society of Botswana
- Ranked in Chambers 2021