Africa’s economic outlook is on the up, with the African Development Bank in its 2019 African Economic Outlook report forecasting sustained rise in the average GDP (gross domestic profit) growth rate for the continent - from an estimated 3.5% in 2018 to 4% this year and 4.1% in 2020.
Our well-rounded finance and project team has concluded deals in various industries. Our lawyers have valuable knowledge in loan syndication finance, lending and borrowing, debt capital and derivatives.
Our clients benefit from valuable knowledge derived from a combination of global and local insight that positions us to deal with various matters, from domestic to cross-border transactions. We have insight on the type of LMA documentation suitable for a client to best serve their needs.
We also assist clients in negotiating term sheets and drafting execution documents. Our clients include major banks, DFIs, local non-bank financial institutions and development agency corporations.
Experience has included advising:
- Stanbic Bank Botswana Limited for a project finance transaction worth BWP200 million with Orange Botswana as the borrower
- Rand Merchant Bank Botswana for a project finance transaction worth BWP270 million to extend the biggest mall in Botswana
- Finnish Fund for Industrial Cooperation Limited on concluding a project finance transaction with Letshego Holdings Limited as the guarantor
- Morupule Colliery Limited in a syndicated loan transaction with four banks for colliery expansion
- Stanbic Bank Botswana Limited for a project finance transaction worth BWP300 million with Botswana Housing Corporation as the borrower
Financing of large scale projects or infrastructure requires substantial funding to the extent that a bank or a financial institution is often not prepared or does not have the capacity to fund the project or infrastructure solely.
Smart Partnership Enterprises (Proprietary) Limited (“Smart”) is the proprietor of a 9.61 hectare plot located in the new Central Business District of Gaborone.