Have you ever been removed from premises you are lawfully renting for failure to pay rent or have you ever been dispossessed of goods lawfully in your possession? Well if the answer is in the affirmative, our law requires you to approach the courts in order to grant you the relief you seek.
Nyaradzo Mupfuti is a Partner and Head of the Financial Recoveries Division, where her portfolio includes undertaking debt collection matters for banks and other financial entities.
She is experienced in third party recovery actions for insurance companies, and is well-versed in matters involving insurance law. Her career has also seen her serving as a labour law consultant for clients, wherein her legal advice is sought on different kinds of labour law matters and trade disputes.
In September 2009, she obtained a Diploma in Trial Advocacy through the National Institute of Trial Advocacy in conjuction with the Law Society of Botswana. The Trial Advocacy curriculum centers on the training and development of skilled and ethical attorneys to improve the adversarial justice system.
Nyaradzo also attained a diploma in training advocacy skills entitling her to train other attorneys in the art of trial advocacy. She sits on the Trial Advocacy Panel of the Law Society of Botswana. She also undertakes pro bono work. The matters she has been tasked with involve constitutional rights of prisoners, defending eviction proceedings against minority groups in the society and assisting in divorce proceedings.
She is a competent attorney who believes ensuring the client receives exceptional service is paramount in the legal profession.
Experience includes advising clients on:
- Management of the Financial Recoveries Unit
- Negotiating out of court settlements and other debt collection needs.
- Advising businesses on the impact, interpretation and implementation of new policies and legislation impacting on financial recoveries.
- Supervising call centre consultants to achieve monthly quotas.
- Independently managing queue of collection accounts and determining next course of action to resolve the accounts.
- Establishing and maintaining payment arrangements consistent with organization guidelines.
- Advising clients of necessary actions and strategies for debt repayment based on financial situation and organizational guidelines.
- Managing the collection of outstanding debts to achieve collection target goals and ensure positive cash flow.
- Negotiating payments while continuing to build positive relationship with involved parties.
- Managing legal collection process steps.
- Organizing, implementing and supervising mentor training focused in customer service & dispute resolution.
- labour law litigation including advising and representing clients in the following trade disputes:
- Unfair dismissals
- Unfair labour practices
- Organisational rights
- Alleged non-compliance with the Employment Act
- Non-payment of wages, overtime, leave, gratuity and severance benefits
- Non-litigious employment law matters - undertaking disciplinary hearings, company restructuring exercises and advising clients on their obligations under employment law legislation. Drafting agreements, policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Providing law updates informed on proposed legislation and regulations affecting aspects of the employment relationship and support clients with seminars and conferences
- Negotiating out of court settlements and other debt collection needs;
- The impact, interpretation and implementation of new policies and legislation impacting on financial recoveries;
- Supervising call center consultants to achieve monthly quotas;
- Independently managing queue of collection accounts and determining next course of action to resolve the accounts;
- Establishing and maintaining payment arrangements consistent with organization guidelines;
- Necessary actions and strategies for debt repayment based on financial situation and organizational guidelines;
- Managing the collection of outstanding debts to achieve collection target goals and ensure positive cash flow; and
- Negotiating payments while continuing to build positive relationships with involved parties.
- Attorney admitted to practice in the courts of Botswana (2009)
- University of Zimbabwe, Bachelor of Law (Honours) Degree (LL.B.) (2008)
- Law Society of Botswana, Certificate in Trial Advocacy (2009)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy (USA), Trial Advocacy Trainer (2013)
- May 2019 to date, Partner, Minchin & Kelly (Botswana), DLA Piper Africa, Botswana
- October 2017 to May 2019, Senior Associate, Minchin & Kelly (Botswana), DLA Piper Africa, Botswana
- 2009 to October 2017, Associate, Gaborone based law firm
- Law Society of Botswana
- Trial Advocacy Training Panel of the Law Society of Botswana
- Writer of a legal column in Crime Prevention Magazine Botswana
The relationship between a landlord and their tenant is not often smooth, more so when the tenant fails to pay rent.