The coming into effect and promulgation of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) has ushered in a new and exciting era for the continent. AfCFTA aims to enhance intra-African trade by providing a complete and mutually beneficial trade agreement among Member States. It covers goods and services, investment, intellectual property rights and competition policy. On December 5, 2020, the African Union Assembly approved the start of trading under AfCFTA as of January 1, 2021.
Our corporate lawyers support Rwanda’s leading companies, emerging startups and financial institutions in their development and investment activities.
From mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and venture capital to private and public equity offerings, we assist clients through all stages of their transactions to ensure successful deal outcomes.
Our clients benefit from a valuable combination of global insight and local knowledge that allows us to handle all aspects of complex domestic and cross-border corporate transactions. Understanding the industry and the day-to-day issues faced by our clients is critical to our success.
Our capital markets lawyers have represented and advised clients on the regulatory requirements for listing on the Rwandan stock exchange and issuance of bonds among others.
Our lawyers in Rwanda are well-versed and qualified to serve and support emerging growth companies and venture capital and other institutional investors wherever they do business.
Our clients include, among others, entrepreneurs, startups, emerging growth companies, whether in the technology, healthcare, consumer goods and venture capital funds, corporate strategic investors and other institutional investors with their venture capital or other strategic transactions.
Our lawyers advise on various types of investment funds, from real estate funds and private equity funds.
In Rwanda and beyond we provide a dynamic, integrated service to sponsors, fund managers and institutional investors, supported by our international networks.
We advise clients about the full spectrum of private investment funds, all major investment strategies and all stages of a private investment fund's life cycle.
Our lawyers' experience allows us to execute cross border deals seamlessly while supporting clients across all stages of the transaction and offering cost-effective, pragmatic business solutions in Rwanda and beyond.
We guide our clients through every stage of a deal, from due diligence, regulatory approvals and structuring, to negotiation and preparation of deal documents, to post-transaction transition and post-merger integration.
Our lawyers in Rwanda have the market knowledge and exposure to help clients achieve their goals throughout the investment life cycle.
We represent private equity institutions and, very importantly, portfolio companies through all stages of the private equity life cycle.
Our clients benefit from the breadth and depth of our private equity experience and our key sector-based legal experience.
Our lawyers in Rwanda are trusted advisors to leading and emerging companies and government entities on corporate governance matters, providing strategic advice and guidance.
Our advice ranges from implementing new governance strategies, regulations on compliance as well as investigating allegations of wrongdoing or responding to civil, administrative or criminal actions.
Experience has included advising:
- Several international financial institutions regarding multi-million USD mergers and/or acquisitions relating to several Rwandan banks and insurance companies.
- An international telecom company regarding its acquisition of an 80% stake in a Rwandan company that operates the national e-payment system.
- Several foreign venture capital funds regarding their acquisition of shares in several Rwandan companies.
- An international investor regarding the structuring of a joint venture project for the building of a multi-million USD high nutrient food factory involving IFC, WFP and Government of Rwanda.
- An international investor regarding the structuring of a joint venture project involving the Government of Rwanda for the development and restructuring of the national fiber optic network.
- A Kenyan media group on cross-listing on the Rwandan Stock Exchange.
- A Rwandan renewable energy company on the issuance and sale of medium term asset-backed notes.
- Government of Rwanda regarding all the legal and regulatory aspects relating to the issuance of a multi-million dollar bond.
Our guide to the issues likely to impact businesses and the key measures taken by African governments in response to COVID-19.
DLA Piper Africa achieves impressive results in the newly released 2020 edition of The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA)edition
How private equity in Namibia has helped curb the outflow of capital, provided alternative financing options, and provided access to capital for domestic investment opportunities.