How private equity in Namibia has helped curb the outflow of capital, provided alternative financing options, and provided access to capital for domestic investment opportunities.
Our corporate lawyers support Namibia's leading enterprises, emerging startup companies and financial institutions in their development and investment activities.
From mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and venture capital to private and public equity and debt offerings, we assist clients through all stages of their transactions to ensure successful deal outcomes.
Our clients benefit from a valuable combination of global insight and local knowledge that allows us to handle all aspects of complex domestic and cross-border corporate transactions. Understanding the industry and the day-to-day issues faced by our clients is critical to our success.
Our capital markets lawyers represent issuers and underwriters in public equity and debt capital transactions, including initial public offerings (IPOs) and follow-on offerings; rights offerings; listings on the NSX.
We offer integrated securities advice on complex, cross-border transactions to issuers, underwriters, selling shareholders, sponsors, arrangers, lead managers, originators, dealers, trustees and depositories on a broad range of securities offerings.
Our lawyers are strategically positioned to serve and support emerging growth companies and venture capital and other institutional investors wherever they do business.
Our clients include founders, entrepreneurs, startups, emerging growth companies, whether in the technology, healthcare, consumer goods or media industries, and venture capital funds, corporate strategic investors and other institutional investors with their venture capital or other strategic transactions.
Our lawyers advise on all types of investment funds, from real estate funds, private equity funds and infrastructure funds to hedge funds and fund structured products.
We advise clients about the full spectrum of private investment funds, all major investment strategies and all stages of a private investment fund's life cycle.
Our lawyers' experience allows us to execute deals seamlessly while supporting you across all stages of the transaction and offering you cost-effective, pragmatic business solutions.
We guide our clients through every stage of a deal, from due diligence and structuring, to negotiation and preparation of deal documents, to post-transaction transition and post-merger integration.
Our lawyers have the market knowledge and exposure to help you achieve your goals throughout the investment life cycle.
We represent private equity institutions, management teams, debt providers and, very importantly, portfolio companies through all stages of the private equity life cycle.
Our clients benefit from the breadth and depth of our private equity experience and our key sector-based legal experience.
Experience has included advising:
- The Government of the Republic of Namibia in its sovereign bond issue of USD750 million in both the European and US markets. The work further related to specifically advising on matters pertaining to sovereignty and the ability of the Namibian Government to be involved in and provide financing.
- On all the facts regarding the procurement of the land, construction and development of one of the largest private hospitals in Namibia and consequently the operation thereof. The latter included advising on the financing of the construction.
- The national power utility on the updating and amending of its N$5 billion medium term note program.
- Clients (in particular a consortium of three international financial institutions) in a major limited recourse financing transaction, which included advising upon an elaborate security structure, the required finance being in excess of N$1.5 billion.
- Various clients, providing comprehensive written opinions on inter alia financial instruments / derivative products mostly utilised for purposes of hedging risk, which opinion included advice on the legality and regulatory implications of such products.
- Various private equity fund managers to whom the Government Institutions Pension Fund, availed substantial funds to invest in unlisted investments in the Namibian market.
- In a transaction relating to the acquisition of a private equity group of companies, which included advising on all the transactional documents as well as the regulatory requirements including the preparation and filing of the competition applications.
- An international company on a take-over scheme and its envisaged delisting from the Namibia Stock Exchange.
- Three separate local private equity funds in the structuring of their respective infrastructure funds and collectively raising N$1.5 billion in investor commitment from the Government Institutions Pension Fund.
- As local counsel for one of the largest commercial banks in Namibia in the acquisition of a financial services group of companies.
- A Chinese state-owned entity on the acquisition of the majority stake in one of Namibia’s largest uranium mines.
- Continuously ranked in Chambers & Partners Global since 2014
- Three directors in its Corporate Department ranked in Chambers & Partners
- Ranked as a Tier 1 Firm (IFLR 1000)
How private equity creates values in Africa; risks and challenges for firms and investors; and promises and opportunities.
South Africa's Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (POPIA), expected to be fully in force in the near future, contains similar provisions to GDPR.
Private equity is now a credible alternative to bank financing in Morocco, but some obstacles to effective growth remain, including the rigid tax system and restrictions that prevent flexible management packages.