Our experience in guiding commercial development projects in Africa and around the globe provides our clients with a competitive advantage.
Our real estate lawyers bring in-depth experience in development projects ranging from office buildings and mixed-use facilities to large-scale urban regeneration projects with complex negotiations between public and private stakeholders. These skills are particularly useful in developing economies.
We support clients through all phases of a real estate project, from planning appraisals, applications and agreements, to enforcement, appeals, enquiries and challenges.
Local insights, international resources: with teams in 20 African countries, we offer a strong local presence backed by one of the world’s biggest law firms. Our lawyers understand the specific political, cultural, regulatory and economic issues that affect real estate development and planning in the region. Our global Africa team comprises more than 200 lawyers in Johannesburg, Casablanca, London, New York, Paris, Dubai, Perth, Hong Kong and Beijing.
Drawing on the multidisciplinary resources of a global business law firm, we can offer the full range of services required to conceive, implement and complete significant projects, providing a fully integrated cross-border approach if needed. We have handled city center and urban redevelopments, multi-party air rights developments, office towers with parking and retail components, multi-phased mixed-use projects, mixed-use resort properties and lifestyle center developments.
Key capabilities include:
Acting on a huge range of projects, from major infrastructure to vast residential schemes, working with public and private stakeholders and understanding every element of local planning systems, including complex applications, compulsory acquisition, environmental impact assessments and enforcement.
We are highly experienced in addressing:
- planning, zoning, land use approval, consents: these can vary dramatically from country to country
- government incentives, tax increment financing (TIF) and other public incentives programs
- site selection: legal, regulatory, and business differences among competing jurisdictions and sites.
- environment: impact assessments, permitting, site contaminating waste products, pollution, etc.
- dispute resolution: we help clients avoid disputes by advising on potential issues early but, if a dispute arises, we are highly skilled in all litigation, arbitration, adjudication and ADR processes
Please contact us to discuss how we can help you to achieve your objectives.