Our guide to the issues likely to impact businesses and the key measures taken by African governments in response to COVID-19.
Our life sciences team in Casablanca understands the complexity of the business and regulatory environments in which our clients operate.
Businesses in the sector such as pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, research and diagnostics companies face important challenges. Taking therapies from the laboratory to the market requires awareness of multiple IP and regulatory risks. Other pressures include desire for greater shareholder return, competition in key therapeutic areas, pricing pressures from healthcare payers, regulation beyond core issues, rising R&D costs, operating in emerging markets, and aggressive enforcement.
Our life sciences team can combine sector-specific and multi-disciplinary skills across the firm with in-country knowledge to address virtually any requirement.
Our life sciences team can handle compliance and investigations, IP strategy and enforcement, M&A, licensing and distribution and dispute resolution. Our capability extends to all other areas required to address risk including government affairs, environmental, import/export, real estate and employment.
Our team is particularly adept at assisting healthcare and health services providers in their development and expansions in Morocco, be it with M&A transactions, real estate or regulatory support.
Experience has included advising:
- Sanofi on the sale of 51% of its share capital and voting rights in Maphar, a leading Moroccan pharmaceutical company;
- A leading international pharmaceutical company in the implementation of a compliance program and in the context of the reform of the market authorization process in Morocco;
- MS Pharma in the context of the acquisition of a pharmaceutical laboratory in Morocco;
- Sanofi in the context of the restructuring of their pharmaceutical activities in Morocco and partnership with Eurapharma;
- Oncologie et Diagnostic du Maroc in the acquisition of several medical clinics;
- Emirates Hospitals Group - KBBO in their plans to acquire multidisciplinary clinics in Morocco;
- Elsan Care in the auction process for structuring, developing and financing the Zenata Eco-city Health Cluster site;
- Oncologie et Diagnostic du Maroc in connection with the acquisition of two medical assets held by the Saham Group;
- Fresenius in connection with the acquisition of a medical clinic in Morocco; and
- Mediclinic in its project to acquire medical assets in Morocco.
DLA Piper Africa achieves impressive results in the newly released 2020 edition of The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA)edition