Geni & Kebe provided diligent legal counsel for financial lenders supporting the development of a 120 MW thermal power plant in Malicounda.
Our lawyers in Senegal are at the forefront of advising the infrastructure sector, working with clients who invest in, own, operate, manage or provide services to infrastructure assets.
Our experience in this sector includes: public transport, renewable energy, waste, defense, education, healthcare, social infrastructure and leisure, rail, roads, bridges, aviation, shipping and ports and more.
The highest rate of construction in the subregion is taking place along the Petite Côte. Our branch office in Mbour has responded to the increasing number of hotel and real estate projects in the area by developing a strong real estate, property and construction practice.
As a regional hub, Dakar is home to branches of many air and shipping operators. We advise clients such as foreign ship-owners and Protection & Indemnity clubs, helicopter operators and airlines on the aviation and maritime legal framework, corporate and commercial matters, establishment of subsidiary offices, accidents and liability claims and litigation and dispute resolution, including domestic litigation and international arbitration.
In addition, there is a growing interest across the region in forming public-private partnerships (PPPs) to accelerate development. We advise on the contractual and regulatory requirements in PPP projects, particularly in the infrastructure sector. We are also active participants in policy development and training activities organized by government and multilateral development organizations to improve the legal environment for PPP investments.
Experience has included advising:
- Airport managers in the PPP in relation to the new airport for Dakar
- Indian conglomerate Jindal Power in a USD900 million, 350 MW power plant deal with the state electricity company, Senelec – the largest energy deal ever in Senegal
- Hyatt Hotels in a hotel management deal that will introduce the Hyatt brand to Senegal on a building constructed by a Senegalese company
- The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) on a EUR131 million loan concluded with regard to the United Nations Building Project in Senegal
- A large multinational Spanish bank in the financing of the acquisition of an A319-111 to Air Senegal S.A.
- Bunker supplier Bominflot Limited in a ship arrest at Dakar Port
- Bristow Helicopters on requirements for operating aircraft in Senegal
- Aircraft manufacturer Embraer on legal requirements for sale of aircraft in Mali
- Africa P&I Club in the denial of coverage of a claim in Mali brought by a ship owner
- Export-Import Bank of China on loans to the Senegalese government for the USD400 million AIBD-THIES Expressway Project and the USD34 million project to improve firefighting equipment
GENI & KEBE retains status as a premiere law firm with leading practitioners, according to Chambers & Partners’ recently announced 2023 global legal rankings.