Barnabas Tumusingize is a leading financial services and regulatory affairs practitioner with over 30 years’ experience. Barnabas also possesses considerable experience and expertise in disputes work, with his practice covering banking and financial law, construction, commercial contracts, insurance, telecommunications and regulatory affairs. Barnabas has handled several complex in-country and cross-border matters and is a trusted legal adviser of leading local and multinational companies and financial institutions with business and investments in Uganda.
Experience has included advising:
- MTN Uganda in judicial review proceedings that challenged the imposition of transitional license fees of USD14 million by the sector regulator.
- MTN Uganda on all aspects of its USD114 million telecommucations licence renewal.
- Standard Chartered Bank Uganda before the East African Court of Justice in a USD12 million dispute founded upon a claim on a guarantee issued by the bank.
- National Social Security Fund in appellate proceedings to challenge a USD20 million arbitral award before the Supreme Court of Uganda.
- UAP-Old Mutual Insurance Uganda in defending high-value insurance fraud litigation.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- University College London: Master of Laws (Corporate and Commercial Law).
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global.
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.