As the articles in this issue show, the world’s second largest continent may offer real opportunities to foreign investors in real estate.
Our lawyers in Uganda offer a full range of real estate sector services including financing, acquisitions and disposals, tax efficiency, land use, environmental law, planning and development, construction and leasing.
Real estate has emerged as an attractive long-term investment for investors seeking diversification and stable yields in an uncertain economy. As a sector, real estate must both compete with other investment classes and offer a desirable product to end-users whether they are buying or leasing.
Our clients benefit from our significant experience in orchestrating high value, long-term projects that involve complex structuring, facilitating negotiations, ensuring tax efficiency, navigating legal and regulatory issues and, when necessary, litigating on their behalf.
Experience has included advising:
- British American Tobacco on the USD13 million disposal of its former headquarters and green leaf threshing plant;
- Hima Cement (LafargeHolcim) on the surface rights acquisition for the development of a clinker production plant;
- Nakasero Hospital for the expansion of its healthcare facility, including land acquisition and user and permitting approvals;
- The principals for the acquisition, development and title regularization for the USD10 million Lake Victoria Serena Hotel Phase II project;
- International Finance Corporation and DEG on a USD10 million facility for the development of a prime commercial property;
- Trade and Development Bank on the USD30.5 million financing of the construction of a 5-star, 205 room hotel; and
- Trade and Development Bank on a USD15 million property development facility for the development of an iconic grade A office park.
- Band 1 – General Business Law (Chambers and Partners 2019)
- Tier 1 – Financial and Corporate (IFLR1000 2019)