James Mukasa Sebugenyi specialises in dispute resolution (litigation and arbitration) and has participated in significant cases covering mainstream areas of law such as commercial contracts, real estate and product liability, and in specialised spheres such as constitutional law, property fraud, telecommunications, energy, expropriated properties, utilities, employee benefits and aviation negligence. James has participated in numerous seminars and conferences as a speaker and faculty on litigation practice.
Experience has included advising:
- National Environment Management Authority in appellate proceedings to challenge the damages award of USD50 million following the statutory cancellation of a former licensee’s grant.
- TotalEnergies E&P in relation to a public law claim in which the claimants alleged that the procurement process for TotalEnergies’ USD5 billion commercial oil development program in Uganda is non-compliant with local content requirements.
- dfcu Bank in defending high-value litigation arising out dfcu Bank’s purchase of the assets and assumption of liabilities of Crane Bank Limited (following the placement of Crane Bank Limited into receivership by the Central Bank).
- British American Tobacco Uganda in BP 5.4 million contract dispute with a group of tobacco farmers before the Supreme Court of Uganda, including in notable post-judgment proceedings that invoked the inherent powers of the Supreme Court.
- For the appellant in landmark proceedings to determine the nature and extent of the validation principle following the performance of a step beyond the time prescribed by the Supreme Court rules.
- Absa Bank in defending a complex and high-value claim for fraud and breach of duty in relation to the receivership of a borrower.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global.
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- Member of the Commonwealth Lawyers Association.
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.