As the articles in this issue show, the world’s second largest continent may offer real opportunities to foreign investors in real estate.
Our real estate and conveyancing service in Uganda specializes in all forms of conveyancing mandates.
We advise on the acquisition and disposal of commercial and residential real estate, leases and lease-backs, property finance, property litigation, structuring beneficial holdings, the permit and consent process related to the use of land in specific areas and tax planning for real estate acquisitions and disposals.
We act for local and foreign investors, multinational organisations, institutional investors, financial institutions and specialist developers.
For project-based work, we support clients in negotiating and documenting legal and financing structures for the development and operation of real estate projects, and we have acted for local and international financial institutions in an extensive range of commercial real estate facilities to developers.
Experience has included advising:
- British American Tobacco on the USD13 million disposal of its former headquarters and green leaf threshing plant
- Hima Cement (LafargeHolcim) on the surface rights acquisition for the development of a clinker production plant.
- The principals for the acquisition, development and title regularization for the USD10 million Lake Victoria Serena Hotel Phase II project.
- The principals on the purchase and letting of condominium units and residential houses in a USD10 million property development project.
- SC Synergie B.V. Netherlands on the acquisition of land for a planned hospital-linked solar power station in North-Eastern Uganda.
- International Finance Corporation and DEG on a USD10 million facility for the development of a prime commercial property.
- Trade and Development Bank on the USD30.5 million financing of the construction of a 5-star, 205 room hotel.
- Trade and Development Bank on a USD15 million property development facility for the development of an iconic grade A office park.
- East African Development Bank on a USD10.5 million property development facility for a housing project comprising of 42 high end fully furnished and serviced apartments.
- East African Development Bank on a real-estate finance facility utilised to partially finance the development of a large shopping complex in an upscale area.