The coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic is unfortunately now in Uganda. The raft of measures by the World Health Organization (WHO), and governments across the world (including our own) to contain the spread of the virus have resulted in an unprecedented disruption of business and day-to-day life.
Moses Segawa is a specialist employment and employee benefits practitioner. He advises on both non-contentious and contentious matters across the entire value chain from recruitment to termination. In addition to routine advisory support, Moses possesses notable expertise in specialised matters such as transfers of undertaking, corporate restructurings and labour law compliance audits. Moses’ non-profit practice advises sovereign donors, multi-lateral agencies, implementing partners, social impact organizations and international non-governmental organisations on corporate registration, regulatory compliance and tax planning.
Experience has included advising:
- A leading telecommunications tower operator on an employee restructuring following the acquisition of the business and assets of fellow sector player.
- The appellant in landmark proceedings before the Court of Appeal which clarified the jurisdictional basis of the Industrial Court and the scope of statutory and common law remedies that can be awarded in an unfair dismissal claim.
- An international oil and gas company on a significant restructuring to align the company’s human resources with current operational requirements.
- A regional development bank on the establishment of an internal mechanism to address staff grievances in light of the bank’s diplomatic immunity status under its formative treaty.
- A publicly traded entity on the establishment of a retirement benefits scheme, including attending to the procurement of the fund manager, fund administrator and custodian.
- Two international organisations on the treaty negotiation for diplomatic immunity status in Uganda.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global.
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.