Due to the need to diversify Uganda’s energy mix and fulfill the country’s climate change commitments, the government’s emphasis will be on renewable forms of energy such as wind, solar and biogas. Nevertheless, it is anticipated that large and mini-hydro will continue to be Uganda’s principal energy supply source in the medium to long-term.
Nicholas Ecimu is an established practitioner in the power and infrastructure sector (electricity, oil and gas and mining). He acts on the mandate of the world’s leading development financial institutions, governmental agencies, private infrastructure entities and project sponsors. Nicholas’ experience covers all aspects of project structuring, project development, project finance, risk advisory and regulatory engagement and support.
Experience has included advising:
- The project sponsors and equity financiers in relation to the proposed development of a USD2 billion cross-border road and electricity transmission infrastructure project.
- Sinohydro Corporation, the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning contractor, on its procurement to construct the USD2.2 billion 600MW Karuma hydro power dam, including advising Sinohydro on parallel contracting arrangements with the Government of Uganda, concessional loan financing and compliance obligations during the construction phase.
- -National Social Security Fund for the Phase 1 development of a USD222 million government campus on a public-private partnership basis (build, own and transfer) with the Government of Uganda.
- The lenders, led by the International Finance Corporation and African Development Bank as mandated lead arrangers, for the USD680 million project financing of the 250 MW Bujagali II hydro power dam.
- Government of Uganda, represented by the Privatization and Utility Sector Reform Unit of the Ministry of Finance, for the concession of assets of Kilembe Mines, Uganda’s sole copper smelting plant, to a private partner.
- The licensed operators for the conduct of a legal feasibility study into the construction of a crude oil export pipeline.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- Chartered Governance Institute: Graduate Member.
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global.
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Chambers of Mines and Petroleum.