Winnie Awino’s practice covers corporate and commercial law (including M&A), projects and infrastructure and banking and financial law. She acts for corporate and infrastructure entities on legal, regulatory and transactional matters, and also advises local and financial institutions on a variety of lending mandates.
Experience has included advising:
- MTN Uganda for its USD150 million initial public offer - the first telecommunications sector public offer in Uganda; the largest ever public offer in the history of the Ugandan capital markets; the first public offer to utilise digital channels (including mobile money) and the largest public offer in Africa in 2021.
- NCBA Group for the horizontal merger of NC Bank and Commercial Bank of Africa (by way of a transfer of business from Commercial Bank of Africa to NC Bank), and the de-licensing and corporate restructuring of Commercial Bank of Africa.
- MTN Group in relation to the managed separation of the mobile money / financial technology business of its subsidiary (MTN Uganda).
- An Asian financial services group on its proposed acquisition of a 71% stake in a leading micro-credit bank in Uganda in a competitive auction.
- National Social Security Fund for the Phase 1 development of a USD222 million government campus on a public-private partnership basis with the Government of Uganda.
- Access Power MEA on the set up of a 10 MW solar power plant, including acting as borrower’s counsel for project financing by the Dutch development bank FMO and advising on combined equity and debt investment by a Dutch private sector development financier.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- CNew York Bar (2017).
- Cornell University: Master of Laws (Banking, Corporate, Finance and Securities Law).
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Bar qualification).
- Member of the New York Bar Association.
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.