The High Court of Uganda has in Translink Limited v Standard Chartered Bank (U) Limited, High Court Civil Suit No 415 of 2019 re-examined the scope of a bank’s duty of care to its customer in the context of an online or digital transaction. The Court stated that a bank’s duty of care in a digital transaction is discharged when it successfully proves that a payment has been made in accordance with a customer’s instruction.
James Samuel Zeere’s dispute resolution practice covers commercial and civil litigation. He represents clients in both contentious and non-contentious mandates in numerous areas of law such as banking and financial services, commercial contracts, insurance, negligence and product liability, transport and general civil litigation. James also co-ordinates S&L Advocates’ pro bono programme, which advises both natural persons and entities in initiatives to promote the rule of law and to support access to justice.
Experience has included advising:
- The Democratic Governance Facility (a governance programme established by the governments of Austria, Denmark, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the European Union) in strategic litigation against certain defendants for breach of partnership agreements, including advising on delicate capacity, immunity and jurisdictional points.
- Sinohydro Corporation in relation to a high-value breach of contract dispute with a counterparty arising out the client’s implementation of a governmental local content policy.
- MTN Uganda in judicial review proceedings to challenge directives issued by the sector regulator concerning the administration of a material business contract.
- Stanbic Bank in defending multiple claims for breach of mandate and the banker-customer relationship.
- A leading private hospital in relation to the defence of high-value medical negligence claims.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- Makerere University: Master of Business Administration (Business Administration and Management.
- Uganda Christian University, Mukono: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.