Marion practices with the corporate and projects departments. She advises clients on an array of corporate law matters ranging from the establishment of entities in Uganda and the associated routine corporate law compliance matters to more advanced legal issues associated with private equity, insurance, infrastructure, capital markets, restructurings and regulatory compliance.
She is skilled at mergers and acquisitions across sectors like energy, information technology, insurance, microfinance and manufacturing. Marion’s expertise also extends to the projects and infrastructure space.
Marion’s most recent transaction has involved advising Centenary Bank, Uganda’s largest indigenous bank, on a corporate reorganization by which the bank is altering its corporate structure by creating a holding company structure (including transferring the banking business undertaking to a banking subsidiary).
Experience has included advising:
- Centenary Bank, Uganda’s largest indigenous bank, on a corporate reorganisation by which the bank is altering its corporate structure by creating a holding company structure (including transferring the banking business undertaking to a banking subsidiary);
- A Sri Lankan financial services conglomerate on its proposed acquisition of a 71% stake in a leading micro-credit bank in Uganda in a competitive auction;
- A Mauritian closed-end private equity fund investing in renewable energy generating assets and energy efficiency projects on the proposed 100% equity acquisition (and parallel management buy-out) of a 10 MW solar power plant established under the GET FiT Program;
- A leading and regulated continental asset and fund manager on its exit from the Ugandan market;
- A leading Kenyan conglomerate of banks and an insurance company, a pan African private equity fund and a development bank on the proposed acquisition of a 100% stake in one of Uganda’s principal commercial banks;
- Three private equity funds that provide equity and capacity building services to African financial institutions on their acquisition of a 51% stake in one of the largest domestic microfinance providers;
- A Swiss company that offers reinsurance and underwriting services on its acquisition of a 13% stake in a publicly-listed Kenyan company with two Ugandan subsidiaries involved in insurance and asset management; and
- A Norwegian energy company on the restructuring of its three subsidiaries in Uganda. Involving a reduction of share capital and a subsequent amalgamation of the subsidiaries.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda (2017)
- Law Development Centre, Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification) (2015)
- Makerere University, Bachelor of Law (2014)
- East African Law Society
- Uganda Law Society
- Committee Member, Young Lawyers Committee, Uganda Law Society