The Companies Act 2012 was recently amended by the Companies (Amendment) Act 2022. The Amendment Act was assented to on 7 September 2022 and commenced on 16 September 2022.
Marion Angom advises clients on corporate law matters ranging from the establishment of entities in Uganda and the associated routine corporate law compliance matters, to more advanced legal issues associated with private equity, insurance, infrastructure, restructurings and regulatory compliance. She is also experienced in mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets and projects and infrastructure and has worked across the financial, energy, information technology, insurance, microfinance and manufacturing sectors.
Experience has included advising:
- MTN Uganda for its USD150 million initial public offer - the first telecommunications sector public offer in Uganda; the largest ever public offer in the history of the Ugandan capital markets; the first public offer to utilise digital channels (including mobile money) and the largest public offer in Africa in 2021.
- Centenary Bank, Uganda’s largest indigenous bank, on a corporate reorganisation by which the bank altered its corporate structure by creating a holding company structure (including transferring the banking business undertaking to a banking subsidiary).
- Evolution II Fund, a closed-end private equity fund investing in renewable energy generating assets and energy efficiency projects, on its indirect 100% equity acquisition and parallel management buy-out of a 10 MW solar power plant.
- TotalEnergies Marketing on its USD91 million downstream petroleum company amalgamation with Gulf Africa Petroleum.
- Stanlib, a leading continental asset and fund manager, on its strategic exit from the Ugandan market.
- An Asian financial services group on its proposed acquisition of a 71% stake in a leading micro-credit bank in Uganda in a competitive auction.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Uganda.
- Professional Certification: Chartered Secretary, Chartered Governance Institute, UK and Ireland (pending).
- Makerere University: Bachelor of Laws.
- Law Development Centre: Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (bar qualification).
- Member of the East African Law Society.
- Member of the Uganda Law Society.