This edition will speak about law no 1/17 of August 22nd, 2017 revision the law no 1/017 of October 23rd, 2003 and governing the banking activities in Burundi.
Claver Nigarura advises on corporate and compliance matters. He provides legal advice on all corporate law issues regarding the establishment, operation, dissolution and restructuring of companies and corporate formations of every legal type of company. His clients range from all type / category of enterprises to subsidiary companies / branches of foreign and / or multinational business organizations with regard to corporate law issues arising in the context of their activities in Burundi and abroad. He advises companies from the public and private sector as well as other organisations that have direct and indirect interests in corporate issues.
Claver also advises on commercial developments and investment, joint ventures, land use rights, leasing and facilities management, mergers, acquisitions, disposals and due diligence, property leasing and management, sale and acquisition of property, sale and lease back, and structuring of real estate transactions.
He provides advice on the entire lifecycle of a project, from the consenting and planning process, through to the construction, financing, operation, maintenance and ultimately refinancing or sale. He helps in the interpretation and enforcement of energy statutes, licenses and industry codes. His clients include debt funders, electricity generators, investors, lenders, manufacturers, private developers, project sponsors, sellers and acquirers.
Experience has included advising:
- A telecom operator, in drafting a legal opinion on shares transfer to a new shareholder
- A real estate company, in drafting and negotiating a loan agreement of EUR50 million
- A private company in the negotiation and drafting of a purchase contract to build a convention centre worth more than USD100 million
- An international finance corporation in various transactions worth USD5 million
- A trade finance institution in granting a secured facility of USD25 million
- An international Japanese bank in drafting a legal opinion pertaining to a loan agreement ranging from USD50-100 million and reviewing the relevant documents
- A Chinese bank in a digital television migration project of CNY219.7 million
- An international bank in a loan agreement in respect of refinancing for a regional aircraft company
- A multinational commodity trading company in the registration of a mortgage as collateral in connection to a prepayment transaction in Burundi
- A Chinese development bank in granting a loan facility to a telecommunication company
- Advocate admitted with the Court of Appeal of Bujumbura (2005)
- National University of Burundi, LL.B. (2005)
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global, (2019)
- Ranked as leading lawyer in The Legal 500 EMEA, (2019)
- International Bar Association
- Burundi Bar Association
- East Africa Law Society