This edition will speak about law no 1/17 of August 22nd, 2017 revision the law no 1/017 of October 23rd, 2003 and governing the banking activities in Burundi.
Our finance and projects lawyers provide our clients with fully-integrated legal representation on a wide range of domestic and international projects and transactions.
Our team knows the market and offers exceptional practice insight. With broad experience in working with clients in the public and private sectors, funders and consortia, we understand the issues on both sides of the negotiating table. We have experience in structuring, negotiating and documenting projects being developed or financed by local commercial banks and financial institutions. We work with development finance institutions, contractors and project sponsors.
In the public sector, we work with national and local government departments, in particular on public procurement and public finance projects matters.
Experience has included advising:
- A private company in drafting a PPP and a concession agreement for a fiber optic cable scheme worth in excess of USD20 million.
- An energy company covering the Great Lakes region in respect to a grant dedicated to project for the development of the Ruzizi III Regional Hydro Project (Burundi, Rwanda and DRC), worth USD600 million
- The Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development bank and PTA Bank in a project finance facility worth USD13 million regarding implementation of the first fiber optic scheme in Burundi.
- Public and private telecommunication companies in delivering several legal opinions pertaining to transactions with international telecommunication companies.
- A local bank that was supporting the government in drafting the new credit reporting and credit information sharing regulation/law.
- The International Finance Corporation in various transactions worth USD5 million.
- Ranked Tier 1 (IFLR1000 2019)
- Ranked Tier 1 (The Legal 500 EMEA 2019)