Elsie-Michelle Irakoze advises on membership obligations and implementation of regulations in the East African Community (EAC).
Elsie helps clients to identify tax risks in respect of VAT, capital gains, PAYE, withholding tax, quarterly installments, advance tax on income and corporate tax and transfer pricing. She gives her clients accurate, up-to-date information and advice to minimize their tax exposure and help them resolve disputes with the tax authorities.
Her clients include cross-border companies, telecommunications companies, microfinance companies, non-governmental organizations, and private or government-owned companies.
Experience has included advising:
- As a team member, a regional funding organization in analyzing investment policy scoping and designing a reform program
- As a team member, a regional funding organization in improvement of Burundi's investment climate and higher domestication of East African Community (EAC) common market protocol
- As a team member, a regional funding organization in drafting a comparative analysis of the EAC partner state’s laws and regulations pertaining to free movement of goods, services and capital with the EAC common market protocol
- As a team member, a regional accounting company in drafting a legal opinion on an excise tax harmonization study including findings related to data on national GDP, tax revenue, excise tax revenue and specific excise tax on particular products
- As a team member, an American multinational technology company in drafting a legal opinion on tax considerations for provision of free software applications in Burundi
- As a team member, a German company in drafting a legal opinion on the fiscal implications of the new law relating to income tax on its employees based in Burundi
- As a team member, a non-governmental organization in representations before tax authorities relating to its tax disputes in connection with professional tax on remuneration
- As a team member, an international tobacco company in an analysis of tax obligations on importing products
- Advocate admitted with the Court of Appeal of Bujumbura (2016)
- Symbiosis International University, LL.M. (2014)
- Université Lumière de Bujumbura, LL.B. (2013)
- Burundi Bar Association
- East Africa Law Society