The COVID-19 (MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS) Act amends some 56 legislations which the COVID-19 pandemic context rendered necessary to mitigate its negative impact on the Mauritian economy and on the lives of Mauritians in general.
Marc Hein SC, G.O.S.K. is the founder and Chairperson of Juristconsult Chambers. He has chaired various Mauritian legal and financial bodies such as the Mauritian Bar Council, the National Economic and Social Council and the Financial Services Commission. He was also the first Enforcer of Global Finance Mauritius (GFM).
Marc Hein has been awarded the title of Grand Officer of the Order of the Star & Key of the Indian Ocean (G.O.S.K.) for his national contribution to the legal and financial sectors and is a senior counsel appointed by the President of the Republic.
Marc is a well-known negotiator and counsel advising parties in multi-jurisdictional transactions involving a number of different contractual governing laws. He is a fine advisor in strategy concerning litigation, arbitration, mediation or negotiation. He is the legal adviser of several well-known local and multinational corporations, trusts, banks, financial institutions, high net worth individuals and fund managers.
Marc has acquired substantial expertise and experience in all aspects of the practice of law while specializing in business law, including corporate, commercial, tax, energy & mining, insolvency, and employment law. He regularly participates in local and international conferences and is perceived as an innovator in the development of laws in Mauritius.
Experience has included advising:
- A consortium of banks (Bank of America; N.A. BNP Paribas, Singapore Branch; Citibank N.A.; Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd, Hong Kong Branch; Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc.; Standard Chartered Bank, New York; UBS Ag Hong Kong Branch; Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank; Sumitomo Mitsui banking Corporation; Natixis) as Mauritian counsel in connection with a facility agreement worth USD460 million
- Various stakeholders in cross-border financing & taxation transactions
- Investec Bank, Morgan Stanley, Mauritius Commercial Bank Ltd and an international Swiss bank on financing investment funds and private equity entities
- Clients on incorporation & structuring of investment funds & private equity entities
- Clients on Mauritian Trust Law with regards to the courts of Jersey & England
- Mauritius Telecom on its privatization, a service provider for telecommunications services in Mauritius
- An international private equity fund investing in Africa with its restructuring in Mauritius
- A consortium of purchasers in connection with the acquisition of freehold land for IRS projects in Mauritius
- A number of exploration and mining companies targeting oil & gas and mineral projects in Madagascar, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Seychelles and Kenya
- Employers by acting as chairman and counsel for employees on various disciplinary committees
- A Mauritian group in its dealings with dissident shareholders.
- Barrister admitted to Gray's Inn, UK (1979)
- Barrister admitted to the Mauritius Bar Association (1979)
- University of Wales, UK, LLB (Hons.) (1978)
- Gray’s Inn, UK, Degree of Utter Barrister, (1979)
- Université d’Aix en Provence, France, Licence en Droit (1980)
- Consistently ranked as a highly regarded “leading lawyer” in IFLR1000
- Ranked as the only “eminent practitioner” for Mauritius in Chambers & Partners Global
- Mauritius Bar Association, former Chairman
- Bar of England & Wales
- International Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
- Mauritius Institute of Directors, Fellow
The unravelling situation with the COVID-19 pandemic has caused significant financial turmoil in Mauritius. A likely effect of these disturbances could result in companies going for winding-up and other alternatives available under Mauritian law.
This week is the international Arbitration Week held by MARC, the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Arbitration and Mediation Centre. It is a conference with international and local participants to discuss about international and local arbitration in the context of Mauritius.
A brand new edition of a national treasure with documents dating back to 1723, a must-have for all Mauritians, especially lawyers.
L’Express a récemment publié une analyse signée de Jean-Claude de l’Estrac sur la géopolitique dans l’océan Indien, axée surtout sur les avancées de la Chine dans l’océan qui nous entoure.