Our lawyers in Mauritius offer a full range of insurance services, including transactional, regulatory, commercial dispute resolution, claims, competition, restructuring and emergency response.
We view the companies that we work with not only as clients for a discrete project but also as business partners over both the short and long term. We are well trained in advising on insurance policies, insurance claims and support insurance companies in disputes and litigation matters. We focus on providing advice in the context of the insurance sector, as well as looking at clients' existing circumstances and aspirations within the industry.
Our team has an excellent understanding of the functions and remit of the Financial Services Commission (FSC), the regulator for the non-banking financial services sector, insurance and reinsurance sectors.
Experience has included advising:
- A major Mauritian insurance company in respect of the capacity of Mauritius entities (including global business companies) to subscribe to an insurance policy issued by a foreign insurer.
- An insurance Company on various issues regarding the interpretation of their insurance cover policy for the export of sugar by the Mauritius Sugar Syndicate.
- An insurance company in connection with the termination of an insurance policy by Mauritius Shipping Corporation for their vessels.
- A German insurance company with regard to a geothermal project in Kenya structured through a Mauritius holding company. Our client was involved in relation to the insuring/reinsuring of the output of the drilled geothermal wells. Also advising our client on legal aspects of fronting and reinsurance under Mauritius laws.
- A bank after reviewing a credit insurance policy from a Mauritian law perspective.
- An insurance company incorporated in Luxembourg regarding the regulatory framework for life insurance policy in Mauritius delivered to a foreigner residing in Mauritius.
- A Mauritian-based Fund on its D&O liability insurance policy and its combined fund and investment management liability and fund and management liability crime wording policy in relation to claims under those policies.
Our guide to the issues likely to impact businesses and the key measures taken by African governments in response to COVID-19.