Shalinee Dreepaul Halkhoree is a Partner at Juristconsult Chambers. Her main areas of practice include corporate & commercial, banking & finance, data protection and intellectual property. Shalinee regularly advises leading international banks and multinational companies on financing & investment structures and collaterals involving Mauritius vehicles.
Shalinee heads the Data Privacy practice at Juristconsult. Her clients include the biggest conglomerates and hotel groups of Mauritius. Her work involves conducting compliance exercises, drafting of policies, reviewing contracts from a data privacy perspective and advising clients on all aspects of data privacy. She is also an accredited trainer by the Mauritius Qualifications Authority and she delivers bespoke trainings to her clients in the area of data protection and is a regular speaker at both local and international conferences.
Shalinee has been lecturing law related subjects at the University of Mauritius for 7 years and is a regular writer on law related topics in legal journals, magazines and local newspapers. Shalinee is a contributor to the ‘Doing Business Project’ by the World Bank since 2009 to date.
Experience has included advising:
- Two Thai banks on the refinancing of an existing outstanding loan of approximately USD24 million of a Mauritius company
- A Singaporean corporation on the steps to be followed for a change in security agent in relation to a syndicated facilities agreement
- Norfund, IFC and other investors with respect to investment in Fanisi Capital Fund LLC, a Mauritian fund
- Warburg Pincus in the context of a restructuring of the Warburg Pincus companies in Mauritius
- Credit Suisse and Citibank following the addition of a subsidiary to a Mauritian group structure, which subsidiary had to enter into four security agreements for a loan amounting to around USD490 million
- Libya Africa Investment Portfolio which is a subsidiary of the Libyan Investment Authority, on various corporate matters
- Central Bank of Cyprus in a litigation case where the client is a third party among 17 other third parties
- IBL, the biggest conglomerate in Mauritius on data protection matters, including training of its Data Protection Officers
- Harel Mallac, a large conglomerate on various corporate matters, including training its upper management on data privacy matters
- Omnicane, one of the largest conglomerates in Mauritius in carrying out a data privacy compliance exercise of its 30 subsidiaries including a hotel
- Called to the Mauritian Bar (2009)
- Accredited Trainer by the Mauritius Qualifications Authority (2016)
- University of Kent, UK, Master of Laws (LL.M) in International Commercial Law (2006)
- University of Mauritius, LL.B. (2003)
- Ranked as Leading Lawyer: Rising Star in the IFLR1000 (Financial and Corporate) Guide
- January 2009 –August 2009, Barrister-at-Law, Mauritian law firm
- Mauritius Bar Association
On 28 January 2021, the data privacy communities of the world celebrated the Data Protection Day which is an international effort to create awareness about the importance of respecting privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust.