Kamami Christine Michira provides legal counsel across the entire ﬁnance spectrum from secured and unsecured bank ﬁnancing, tier two ﬁnancing for ﬁnancial institutions, trade ﬁnance, asset and invoice ﬁnancing; to commercial paper and debt and equity capital markets.
She also advises banks, insurers and fund managers (general and retirement beneﬁts) on product development and regulatory matters. She also advises listed companies on regulatory issues.
In recent years, she has provided advice on digital lending, payment systems, money transfer, e-money, cryptocurrencies and blockchain to ﬁntechs including digital lenders as well as payment services providers.
Her clients are local and international and include banks, insurers, fund managers, development ﬁnance institutions.
Experience has included advising:
- On corporate bond issuances—she has advised on most (70 per cent) of the recent bond issuances in the Kenya market including two by insurers, one by a leading alcohol manufacturer and two by the largest investment company
- A new bank on licensing and a number of existing listed banks on significant acquisitions including most recently the largest listed bank in Kenya on the acquisition of another listed bank
- A tier one bank on an extensive corporate reorganization into a holding company and bank and other subsidiaries across the region
- A leading composite insurer on a series of equity investments
- The largest health insurer on a series of equity investments and divestitures
- A leading global communications company which a subsidiary listed in Kenya on a series of significant acquisitions and divestitures
- The largest digital lender on successive issues of commercial paper
- A number of payment service providers on payment services and e-money
- A multilateral housing financier on extensive balance sheet restructuring involving more than ten commercial and multilateral lenders
- A multilateral financial development organization on establishment of an over the counter market for debt securities
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (1997)
- Certiﬁed Public Secretary CPS(K)
- Certiﬁed Trainer in Corporate Governance by the Commonwealth Association for Corporate Governance and the International Finance Corporation
- University of Nairobi, MBA (1998)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (1997)
- University of Nairobi, LLB (1995)
- Partner, Head of Banking and Finance Practice, Bowmans (KE) Coulson Harney LLP (2010-2020)
- Director, Legal and Compliance, Equity Investment Bank Limited (2009-2010)
- Director, Legal and Compliance, Renaissance Capital Kenya Limited (2008-2009)
- Head of Legal Aﬀairs/Authority Secretary, Capital Markets Authority (2004-2007)
- Legal Counsel/Monitoring and Evaluation Oﬃcer, Centre for Corporate Governance (2008 to 2009)
- Assistant Manager, Compliance/Legal Oﬃcer Nairobi Stock Exchange (1998-2001)
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya
- Member of the Institute of Directors