As the confirmed cases of COVID-19 infections in Kenya continue to rise at a rate that can only be described as alarming, the delicate balance between saving lives and safeguarding livelihoods has become the waking nightmare for the Government and its advisers.
IKM’s IPT practice has been providing cutting-edge legal services in IP, technology and telecoms to local and international clients in diverse industries and sectors.
Our offering covers trademarks, patents, industrial designs, utility models, copyright, plant breeders’ rights, confidential information and trade secrets, domain names, artificial intelligence and machine learning, telecoms, fintech and data protection.
Our lawyers provide both litigation and commercial advice to a wide range of industry sectors, helping clients from emerging technology and pharmaceutical companies to established financial institutions.
IKM’s IPT’s practice is recognised by legal directories such as Chambers, WTR and IP Stars as a leading IPT firm.
Experience has included:
- Management of our client’s IP portfolio’s in Kenya and the East Arica region including but not limited to opinions on registrability, registrations, renewals, assignments etc
- Assisting clients in IP opposition and expungement/invalidation proceedings
- Filing of patents, industrial designs and utility models at ARIPO and maintenance of such applications including payment of annuity fees
- Advising clients on on anti-counterfeit actions and raids, unfair trade practices and parallel importation
- Advising on domain names and representing clients before the domain name registrar
- Advising on and registration of plant breeders’ rights with the Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS)
- Advising on IP aspects in transactional matters such as licensing, mergers and acquisitions and restructuring
Experience has included:
- Advising clients on the legal considerations for setting up data centers, cloud computing, web hosting services and software as a service to its clients
- Advising on the requirements for installation of fibre connections and the applicable fines for non-compliance with the statutory requirements
- Advising on the Kenya Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Advising on artificial intelligence and machine learning in the context of business operations and the regulatory and compliance issues that arise in different sectors/industries
- Advising on and setting up mobile virtual network operators (MVNO)