Imelda Anika advises on corporate and commercial work including commercial and transactional matters, corporate set ups, restructuring, employment and labor law, immigration, intellectual property, non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations, estate planning, information and technology, mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions and other complex transactions across a wide range of industries.
Imelda is also experienced in drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and provides ongoing general legal counsel to both local and international clients.
Imelda has advised a wide range of clients in different sectors, including financial and banking, infrastructure, construction and transport, insurance, life sciences, media sport and entertainment and technology.
Experience has included advising:
- Finserve (a subsidiary of Equity Bank Limited – one of the largest banks in Eastern Africa), in its set up and application to the Communications Authority of Kenya, in order to be one of the first mobile virtual network operators (MVNO) in the country
- One of the largest mobile commerce companies operating a payments ecosystem connecting financial sector customers, mobile network operators and businesses to their mobile consumers, in their application for an electronic payment service provider license from the Central Bank of Kenya
- A mobile telecommunications company based in South Sudan which intends to partner with the leading telecommunication company within the East African Community region to develop a platform for mobile money services in South Sudan
- Acted for non-profit, Financial Sector Deepening Kenya, a financial sector development program that supports the development of financial inclusion in Kenya
- Acted for a US-based entity that had created a product that increases the shelf life of fruits and vegetables through the use of food additives
- One of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world on the legality of implementing an online and mobile platform for healthcare providers and an integrated diabetes solution in Kenya
- One of the leading integrated communications companies in Africa on a number of copyright issues in the operation of one of its music portals, and the rights of the collective management organizations in Kenya to collect royalties from our client
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya (2012)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2011)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws LL.B. (2010)
- April 2023 to date, Legal Director, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- May 2017 to April 2023, Senior Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- Jan 2013 to May 2017, Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- June 2012 to Sept 2012, Secondment to a Kenyan-based bank
- Jan 2012 to Dec 2012, Pupil, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
As the COVID-19 daily statistics continue to point in the direction of a flattening curve in Kenya, it might not be idle to ask if anything good could possibly have come out of this pandemic.