Private equity is a type of investment class that involves the purchase of interests in private companies. While some investors may opt to purchase shares in publicly-traded companies such as those listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange, private equity investors instead focus on acquiring controlling stakes in private companies, often referred to as "portfolio companies."
David Lekerai is a Partner in the Corporate Practice at IKM.
His areas of specialization include mergers and acquisitions, private equity, capital markets, competition law, structured trade finance and tax law.
His clients range from private equity and venture capital firms, leading development finance institutions (DFIs), leading regional commercial banks, investment funds, and financial institutions.
Experience includes advising:
- Cellulant Corporation in its Series C Investment by, among others, The Rise Fund managed by TPG
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) in its equity investment in Britam Holdings Plc
- KCB Group Plc in its proposed acquisition of certain assets of Imperial Bank Limited (in liquidation)
- Compagnie Gervais Danone in its acquisition (40%) of Brookside Dairy Limited, the leading milk processor in the region
- Centum Investment in acquiring 68% in Sidian Bank through a non-operating holding company
- Guaranty Trust Bank Plc in its acquisition of 70% in Fina Bank Limited (now Guaranty Trust Bank, Kenya, Limited)
- ShoreCap II and Progression Capital in investment in Jamii Bora Bank
- Auto Sueco & Nors Group in the divestment of its business in the East Africa region
- Metropolitan Hospital in an equity investment by Abraaj Group
- Cummins Inc in a joint venture investment with Car & General Plc
- Novastar Ventures in a number of transactions involving clearance by the Competition Authority of Kenya
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (2006)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2005)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws LL.B. (2004)
- Certified Public Secretary (CPS) (2013)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) (2005)
- 2014 to date, Partner, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2010 to 2013, Senior Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2009 to 2010, Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2008 to 2009, Legal officer, Kenya Revenue Authority
- Law Society of Kenya
- Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya