Milly Jalega Odari is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
She advises clients in litigation and arbitration in various sectors including banking and financial services, insolvency, construction, employment and procurement. She has extensive experience in election disputes, constitutional and administrative law. She also advises clients in risk assessment and management of potential disputes.
Milly was part of the team that represented the Kenyan government in a multibillion dollar investment international arbitration at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes. She has also been involved in defending two petitions in the supreme court challenging the election of the president.
She has successfully prosecuted and defended various cases before the courts and arbitral tribunals, which has earned her the respect of clients and admiration of peers.
Experience has included advising:
- As a team member, the Kenyan government in a multibillion dollar investment international arbitration at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes;
- As a team member, the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission in defending the petitions challenging the election of the president in 2013 and 2017;
- East African Breweries Limited and Kenya Breweries Limited in a dispute with a supplier on distribution routes;
- A leading global beverage company in arbitration proceedings in relation to the recycling of plastics;
- A leading global IT company in challenging the award for the supply, delivery, installation and commissioning of ICT integration in education devices and solutions for primary schools in Kenya;
- Bull Sas in defending the award of the tender for the supply, installation, testing and commissioning of an integrated customs management system and related modernization services at the Kenya Revenue Authority;
- The National Oil Corporation of Kenya in arbitration proceedings for recovery of losses occasioned by a supplier’s failure to deliver automotive gas oil within the agreed delivery period;
- A top bank in proceedings challenging the government’s decision to place a caveat over a property charged to the bank effectively barring the realization of a secured debt;
- An investor in the hotel industry in arbitration proceedings seeking to recover damages for delays and defective works from a contractor; and
- An investor seeking compensation from the government for illegal demolition of its properties to facilitate the construction of a major highway in Kenya.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (2008)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2007)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws LL.B. (2006)
- Strathmore University, Diploma in Management of Information Systems (2002)
- 2016 to date, Partner, IKM, DLA Piper Africa
- 2012 to 2015, Senior Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa
- 2008 to 2011, Associate , IKM, DLA Piper Africa
- 2006 to 2007, Pupil, IKM, DLA Piper Africa
- Law Society of Kenya