Over the past few years, the protection of personal data has been a hot topic of discussion both in Kenya and internationally. Regulators, professionals, researchers, and policy makers have contributed massively to the legal developments in this space. We have seen the enactment of new laws and regulations, increased publications, training, public discourse, and enforcement by the regulators.
John Ndirangu advises on commercial law with a particular focus on drafting, review and negotiation of commercial contracts and giving legal opinions on all aspects of commercial law.
He also advises clients on all aspects of employment and labor law including termination, employment benefits, and types of employment contracts, and drafting and review of employment contracts and HR manuals, among others.
John also advises clients on all aspects of intellectual property law including, registrability of trademarks, patents, industrial designs and utility models, filing various applications, and drafting of pleadings for mark opposition and expungement proceedings.
John also assists various non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in the registration process and to regularize their status in accordance with the provisions of the NGO Act, the regulations and the policies of the NGO board.
John also advises on all aspects of immigration law and assists clients in obtaining work and residence permits, special passes, dependant passes, student passes, research and internship passes, visitor and business visas.
His clients range from international retail companies to law firms, NGOs and business consultants.
Experience has included advising:
- An international retail company on legal compliance and gaps of its Kenyan subsidiary
- A multinational company on the licensing requirements under Kenyan law in order to set up a liquor store, butchery and bakery
- As a team member, responding to a due diligence questionnaire from a multinational company intending to set up and offer cloud computing services in Kenya
- A reputable NGO on a proposed partnership with two county governments on funding of salaries payable to the county staff
- A leading academic institution on termination of employment of a senior employee
- A local NGO on the legal position on hiring of casual employees and on fixed-term contracts
- An international company in defending opposition proceedings against registration of a trademark in Kenya
- An international paint manufacturer on a trademark infringement matter
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya (2016)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2015)
- Moi University, Bachelor of Laws LL.B. (2014)
- 2017 to date, Associate, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- 2016 to 2017, Pupil, IKM, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the East Africa Law Society