Environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices are increasingly influencing capital allocation decisions as investors move beyond financial performance to consider risk-adjusted returns. As a consequence of this shift, disclosures relating to these practices, referred to as ESG disclosures are gaining traction especially amongst listed companies.
Michael Okeyo advises on financing and investment transactions, and is skilled in due diligence, transaction structuring, drafting of transaction agreements, issuing legal opinions, and advising on regulatory matters, which also involves seeking regulatory approvals for transactions and engaging regulators.
He also advises on a range of matters in the financial services sector including licensing, regulatory compliance and approvals, legal audits, as well as issuances on debt and equity capital markets. His experience in financing transactions includes advising on corporate and acquisition finance, syndicated lending, trade finance, and asset and invoice financing.
Clients Michael has advised include domestic and international banks and financial institutions, insurance companies and related stakeholders, capital markets intermediaries and other participants, digital lenders, and payment services companies.
Experience has included advising:
- Served a one-year secondment at the International Finance Corporation, and managed several investment projects to completion, garnering experience with IFC’s financing products, standard documentation and processes.
- As a team member, a leading diversified financial services holding company operating mainly in the insurance sector on various matters including early redemption of its listed bond, and a series of high-value equity investments.
- As a team member, a multilateral financial development organization on establishment of an over-the-counter market for debt securities.
- As a team member, a tier-one bank on an extensive corporate reorganization into a holding company and bank and other subsidiaries across the region.
- As a team member, the largest listed bank in Kenya on the acquisition of another listed bank.
- As a team member, a new bank on licensing.
- As a team member, various prospective capital markets intermediaries on licensing requirements and assisted with the licence application process and engagement with the regulators.
- As a team member, the largest digital lender in Kenya on issuance of commercial paper.
- As a team member, a leading credit only microfinance company on issuance of commercial paper.
- As a team member, a consortium of international lenders on a financing package for a leading airport ground services company, comprising a term loan, revolving credit facility, and secured and unsecured medium-term notes, and on restructuring and enhancement of the financing package on several occasions.
- Several international and local payment service providers on payment services and e-money.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (2014)
- Certified Public Secretary CPS(K)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2014)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (2007-2011)
- Aug 2021 to date, Senior Associate, IKM Advocates, DLA Piper Africa in Kenya
- March 2020 to July 2021, Senior Associate, Coulson Harney LLP
- May 2020-May 2021, Legal Counsel (on secondment), International Finance Corporation
- Oct 2015-Feb 2020, Associate, Coulson Harney LLP
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya