Mumbi Kiragu advises on diverse commercial matters including intellectual property, employment, immigration, information communication technology (ICT), data protection and privacy, non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations, education and various cross-border transactions across a wide range of industries.
Mumbi has worked with local and international clients in different sectors, including insurance, telecommunications, financial and banking, technology, education and media and entertainment.
Additionally, Mumbi has been involved in the registration of trademarks, industrial designs and patents. She has been part of teams that have advised on sports betting licensing in Kenya, complex commercial agreements, the setting up of various entities in Kenya, data protection and cybersecurity and estate planning.
Experience has included advising:
- As a team member, a telecommunications company on issues arising in the bidding process for a GSM license.
- As a team member, a multinational media and entertainment company on the regulatory framework for setting up a sports betting entity in Kenya.
- As a team member, a technology company on compliance requirements for offering a digital marketplace in Kenya.
- As a team member, a group of companies in a domain name dispute.
- As a team member, a US university on compliance requirements for offering education programs in Refugee camps in Kenya.
- As a team member, a multinational motor vehicle distributor on the compliance requirements in relation to the transfer of customer data under the Data Protection Act.
- As a team member, a local shoe manufacturing company in its action against an international corporation for the expungement of the latter’s trade mark.
- As a team member, an insurance company on Group Wide Supervision under the Insurance Act.
- As a team member, a local confectionery manufacturing company in settling a trade mark infringement and passing off dispute with two local competitors.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (2021)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2019)
- University of Edinburgh, LLB and International Relations (2014-2018)
- 2021 to date, Associate, IKM Advocates, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- January 2020 to December 2021, Pupil, IKM Advocates, Pupil, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- August 2019, Intern, Nairobi based law firm
- June 2017 to August 2017, Intern, Nairobi based law firm
- June 2016 to August 2016, Intern, Nairobi based law firm
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya