Nicolas Richard's practice covers all aspects of corporate and commercial law with particular focus on banking and finance, capital markets, aircraft and shipping financing and real estate.
Nicolas also regularly advises local and international clients on corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions and related regulatory issues (including IPOs and takeovers). His experience includes all manner of private share and business acquisitions / disposals, private equity, group reorganisations and joint ventures.
He advises leading international banks and multinational companies on financing / investment structures and collaterals involving Mauritian vehicles.
Nicolas is experienced in all aspects of commercial real estate, including development, joint ventures and structured real estate transactions.
Experience has included advising:
- IBL ltd in in connection with the takeover of Lux Island Resorts and of BlueLife Ltd
- A multinational advertising and public relations company in connection with its acquisition of a minority shareholding in an investment company based in Mauritius holding shares in companies in several African countries
- An international telecommunications and media company on its multimillion euro Term Loan Facility from an international bank
- A major international company with regards to its acquisition of a minority stake in one of the leading destination management companies in Mauritius
- A local conglomerate in relation to the launch of a retail park
- An international African group on the sale of its Mauritius subsidiary operating in the insurance sector
- A major local bank in connection with the financing of a real estate project (smart city) on the west coast of the island
- A conglomerate in connection with the financing, construction and supply and commissioning of a large wind farm which will have nameplate capacity of 29.4 MW
- Attorney-at-law admitted with the Supreme Court of Mauritius (2005)
- Aix en Provence University, France, D.E.S.S. Transports maritimes et aériens (postgraduate specialisation in air and shipping law) (1998)
- Réunion University, France, Maîtrise en droit privé (equivalent to an LLM with specialisation in private international law) (1997)
- Réunion University, France, Licence en droit privé (equivalent to an LLB with specialisation in commercial law) (1996)
- Consistently ranked as a highly regarded “leading lawyer” in IFLR1000
- Ranked as leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners Global
- Ranked 1st nationwide at the Attorney’s examination organized by the Mauritius Council of Legal Education (2003)
- Mauritius law Society
- Mauritius Institute of Directors
- International Bar Association
The legislation and regulations concerning electronic transactions/signatures are becoming a key element to respond to businesses’ changing needs.
As from 15 January 2021, the Environment Protection (Control of Single Use Plastic Products) Regulations 2020 (the “Regulations”) came into operation and banned the importation, manufacture, possession, sale, supply and use of not less than 10 non-biodegradable single use plastic products. These restrictions form part of the Government’s 2020-2024 program to make Mauritius a plastic-free country.