Two DLA Piper Africa lawyers have been recognised by the Association of Young Arbitrators (AYA) in their annual “Africa’s 50 Most Promising Young Arbitration Practitioners” Award 2020.
Ronald is a Partner at Manokore Attorneys. He has extensive experience in Projects and Infrastructure, with a particular specialization in Public Private Partnerships (PPP) across various sectors; infrastructure development, power projects, public procurement and dispute resolution.
Ronald has advised both private clients who include DFIs, lenders and sponsors, project developers, as well as various government departments and procuring entities, from pre-feasibility stage up to project approval by central authorities.
Ronald has emerged as one of only a few PPP lawyers in Zimbabwe. He is an IFLR 1000 ranked lawyer within the Energy and Infrastructure Sector. Ronald is also a Corporate Rescue Practitioner and Liquidator registered with the Council of Estate Administrators and Insolvency Practitioners. He is also a full member of the newly established Insolvency & Restructuring Association of Zimbabwe (IRAZ).
Experience has included advising:
- A consortium of local banks in Insolvency proceedings against Romsdal (Pvt) Ltd for debts valued at USD33 million;
- A banking client in insolvency proceedings against Zimasco (Private) Limited, a chrome mining company, for the recovery of a debt valued at USD12 million, culminating in a restructuring plan by the creditors;
- As a team member, Lesaffre International in its USD20 million acquisition of Anchor Yeast in Zimbabwe;
- A local bank on a debt-assumption and other ancillary agreements with the Zimbabwe Asset Management Company (ZAMCO) in respect of a USD26 million debt;
- As a team member, Tian Li (Hong Kong) in its acquisition of assets in Zisco-Steel (Pvt) Ltd culminating in the drafting of the Zisco-Steel Debt Assumption Act and subsequent investment in the sum of USD1 billion over the next 50 years;
- Zimborders Consortium on a USD240 million project in respect of the Beitbridge Border Post Modernisation and Expansion Project undertaken as a PPP;
- Tel-One (Pvt) Limited on a FTTH Project undertaken as a PPP valued at USD50 million;
- China Export & Credit Insurance Corp. in various financial recoveries with the aggregate sum of USD12 million;
- Cardinal Corporation in real estate related disputes valued at USD40 million; and
- ZTE (China) in a tender dispute with Huawei Technologies (China), before the Administrative and Supreme Courts of Zimbabwe.
- Registered Legal Practitioner of the High Court and Supreme Court of Zimbabwe (2010)
- Registered Legal Practitioner with the Law Society of Zimbabwe (2010)
- University of Zimbabwe, Bachelor of Laws (Hons) Degree (2010)
- Certificate in Social Science Research Methodology (OSSREA) (2009)
- Certificate in World Bank: PPPs- How they can help deliver better services (2015)
- Certificate in FIDIC Suite of Contracts: Module 2
- Notable Practitioner in Energy and Infrastructure: IFLR1000 (2018, 2019)
- 2020 to date, Partner, Manokore Attorneys, DLA Piper Africa, Zimbabwe
- 2014 to 2020, Senior Associate, Manokore Attorneys, DLA Piper Africa, Zimbabwe
- 2012 to 2014, Associate, Zimbabwe-based law firm
- 2011 to 2012, Associate, Zimbabwe-based law firm
- 2008 to 2010, Legal Intern, Zimbabwe-based law firm
- Law Society of Zimbabwe
- Insolvency & Restructuring Association of Zimbabwe (IRAZ) Practitioners of Zimbabwe
- Association of Young Arbitrators (AYA)
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Young ICCA- International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)