Laura Michelle advises on diverse corporate and commercial matters including corporate set ups, intellectual property, commercial agreements, employment, immigration, information communication technology (ICT), data protection and privacy, non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations, and various cross-border transactions across a wide range of industries.
Laura has been involved in the registration and renewal of trademarks, industrial designs and patents. She also advises on employment matters including termination of employment contracts by way of redundancy, summary dismissal and mutual separation. Laura also assists both local and international clients in setting up and maintaining various companies, non-governmental organizations and other forms of legal entities in Kenya. Laura regularly advises on telecommunications law, fintech and data protection and privacy.
Experience has included advising:
- As a team member, an international client on the law on vaccination of employees and against COVID-19 and the return-to-work guidelines issued by the Government of Kenya following the COVID-19 pandemic
- As a team member, a Tier-1 Kenyan Bank on the transfer of employees from a target company to its subsidiary following an amalgamation transaction.
- As a team member, a multinational technology company on the licensing and regulation requirements for its global satellite system, specifically in relation to licensing for satellites, gateways and customer terminals, the relevant licences for business-to-consumer and business-to-business operations as well as compliance requirements for Internet Service Providers.
- As a team member, a multinational computer software company on the regulatory requirements with respect to introduction of gift-cards and token payment options in Kenya.
- As a team member, a company on the termination of an employment contract, including facilitating negotiations between the parties and concluding a mutual separation agreement.
- Advocate admitted to the High Court of Kenya (2022)
- Kenya School of Law, Diploma in Law (2022)
- University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Laws LL.B (2019)
- 2022 to date, Associate, IKM Advocates, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- May 2021 to April 2022, Pupil, IKM Advocates, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Kenya
- January 2020 to July 2020, Intern, government based-agency
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya