Real estate has emerged as an attractive long-term investment for investors seeking diversification and stable yields in an uncertain economy. As a sector, real estate must both compete with other investment classes and offer a desirable product to end-users whether they are buying or leasing.
Our lawyers in Mozambique offer a full range of real estate sector services including financing, assistance with acquisitions and disposals, tax efficiency, land use, environmental law, planning and development, construction and leasing.
Our clients benefit from our significant experience in orchestrating high value, long-term projects that involve complex structuring, facilitating negotiations, ensuring tax efficiency, navigating legal and regulatory issues and, when necessary, litigating on their behalf.
Experience has included advising:
- A large international bank registered in Mozambique with a real estate project including the acquisition of immovable properties, agreements on rental of space for different purposes, construction contracts, due diligence of properties and related matters.
- A large international telecommunication service provider with a real estate property acquisition.
- A Mozambican construction company with the purchase of several properties and acquisition of land rights.
- A foreign embassy in Mozambique, with the purchase of the embassy property, including active participation in the negotiations and all related matters, such as diplomatic and governmental approvals and tax exemption confirmation.
- An investment company with a focus on tourism and real estate with the acquisition of a tourism establishment located in a conservation area.
- A partner at a large international infrastructure investment firm with due diligence in respect to 23 land rights and licenses related to a large game reserve to be created in the south of Mozambique.
- A large international oil and gas company with respect to land rights for a project, including advising on the structuring of the land rights arrangements to ensure secure flexibility for the project and attractiveness to international lenders.
- An international real estate development company with various partnerships to develop real estate projects, assistance in drafting various contracts, due diligence, advice on strategic aspects of the transaction, support in negotiations with the authorities and transfer of land rights.
- A real estate company with a built to suit long term lease and all related negotiation in the structure and guarantees for its implementation.
- A NGO on taxes applicable to real estate and those arising from its sale.
Our guide to the issues likely to impact businesses and the key measures taken by African governments in response to COVID-19.
DLA Piper Africa achieves impressive results in the newly released 2020 edition of The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA)edition
As the articles in this issue show, the world’s second largest continent may offer real opportunities to foreign investors in real estate.