Abutu Odu, Partner at Olajide Oyewole LLP, heads the Real Property practice and is well regarded for his expertise in real property in Nigeria.
He enjoys advising on complex prime property acquisitions, real estate development, joint venture developments and construction projects. He also routinely offers creative and novel expert advice on: successfully closing transactions, appropriate land legislations and practices, related taxations and charges, zoning, subdivision and land use issues, land allocation and the perfection of title to real estate property.
Abutu is also a litigation lawyer practicing in the superior courts and regularly representing clients in wide-ranging commercial practice areas and real property disputes with successful conclusions.
Experience has included advising:
- The owner / developer in the acquisition and development and leasing of the highbrow Seattle Residences, comprising 24 luxury apartments located on Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos
- A corporate client in the acquisition and registration of title to the highbrow property comprising four towers of 16 floors and known as the Waves Office Building, being developed at Victoria Island, Lagos
- A developer in the acquisition of more than 40 hectares of land at Eko Atlantic City, Lagos, for the development of a mixed-use commercial estate development
- A corporate client in the acquisition of more than 20 hectares of land at the Lekki Free Trade Zone at a value of USD40 million
- A corporate client in the negotiation with customary community and direct acquisition of over six hectares from Lagos State in Lekki, Lagos
- The developer of the luxury Eko Pearl Towers project at Eko Atlantic City, Lagos, advising on various matters such as the best structure for the leasing and sales of the multistorey building apartments
- A foremost Nigerian property developer of the Royal Gardens Estate, Ajah, Lagos, a prime mixed-use serviced estate comprising of 145 hectares of serviced plots and purpose-built houses
- A multinational foods and beverages company on the lease of a built-up factory, warehouse and office premises located on three hectares of land located at Antonio Village on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, for a 30-year term
- Respective owners of the Palms Shopping Mall and the Ikeja City Mall, the two biggest shopping malls in Lagos
- A mobile telecommunications infrastructure provider in a USD160 million sale and leaseback of telecommunication tower sites and equipment
- Legal practitioner admitted to the Nigerian Bar (1995)
- University of Calabar, Nigeria (1994)
- 2011 to date, Partner, Olajide Oyewole LLP, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Nigeria
- 2001 to 2011, Senior Associate, Olajide Oyewole LLP, DLA Piper Africa member firm in Nigeria
- 1996 to 2001, Associate / Senior Associate, Lagos-based law firm
- Nigerian Bar Association
Copyright in films are in the category of private intellectual rights and only the copyright owner can enforce an infringement of the copyright in his film.
The Realworld Law is an essential guide that shares our knowledge and expertise about how the laws relating to the real estate sector work in Nigeria.