Copyright in films are in the category of private intellectual rights and only the copyright owner can enforce an infringement of the copyright in his film.
Our intellectual property and technology lawyers provide a full range of commercial, intellectual property law, privacy, sourcing and technology law services for leading businesses in Nigeria and Africa.
Intellectual property and technology law is at the core of any major business transaction or strategic dispute and has become one of the most critical legal areas as companies continue to expand and protect their technologies, brands, products, data and services around the globe.
We provide both litigation-related (contentious) and strategic, commercial advice to a wide range of industry sectors, helping clients achieve their objectives wherever they do business.
Experience has included advising:
- One of Nigeria's foremost record labels in negotiating the recently concluded investment, in what has been described as the first ever private equity deal in Nigeria’s music industry.
- One of Nigerian's foremost music download websites on various aspects of its business including content acquisition and distribution of works whose creators are on the repertoire of the Copyright Society of Nigeria.
- A multinational entertainment company and record label, in its recently concluded investment in one of Nigeria’s record labels.
- An indigenous company with regards to the financing of one of Nigeria’s most commercially successful films.
- Several authors and book publishers on the conversion of their literary catalogue to audio-visual and electronic formats.
- A Nigerian client in its license acquisition for rights in its sound recording catalogue by an international content aggregation platform.
- The producers of one of Nigeria’s most acclaimed animated children’s television programmes.
- A subscription-based television company on all aspects of its operations including content acquisition, content production, obtaining the relevant operational license from the regulatory bodies, financing agreements, brand protection etc.
- The organizers of the largest music festival in Africa.
- One of Nigeria’s foremost book publishing companies.
Access the laws and MDAs in the innovative & creative industry.
On the 16th of May 2018, Sandra Oyewole, shared a presentation on “Developing a Blueprint For a Thriving Digital Economy” at the IDC CIO summit.
There is no doubt that the traditional global banking and financial services landscape is being disrupted by the rapid emergence of financial technology or Fintech.
Domain names are an integral part of most businesses. The more distinctive a domain name is, the easier it is for people to remember, locate and access.